Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Sunshine, nice houses, fancy rims.....



Our Location: Devencrest Rv Park, Albany, GA

A very warm night with lots of rain, an extremely nice day once the rain left but lots of water laying around again. We received about 3 1/2” of rain over the last few days. Doesn’t sound like a lot but the ground is still drying out from the last big rain so water is once again not absorbing as fast as it might. Tornado activity was all around us last night but we didn’t receive anything, in fact I was more worried by the fact that we had NO wind of any kind around 9 pm it just stopped . The city of Albany was subjected to damage, Broad Avenue which was once over hung with trees is now bare, according to folks. A swath along by the Albany Mall was also left in some type of disorder, and US 19 which goes past our front door was closed much closer to the city, last that I heard this afternoon. We lost power for most of the night starting just before 10 pm. At the fuel station this morning a man I spoke with told me he was from 60 miles south of Albany and his neighbour had two car ports, one flew over the house, the other one was some how caught up under the house. I didn’t ask any questions.
 

 
The budding Camellia bush.
A flowering Camellia bush.
 
 
 

















Cherry Laurel Drive

 
 
We had lots of sunshine and warm temps today, the big door was open all day as were most of the windows but we shut them as darkness falls because so does the temps. Still will be warm overnight though. Our internet connection is down and has been down since around 1:30 pm this afternoon. I believe they may be working on getting everyone back up and running and repairing major damage but that is a guess as I have not talked to them and only heard their little recorded speech about knowing about the problem and would have an update in a few hours. Which was a few hours ago.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

True southern staircase, outside the house.

Since we missed cleaning the Igloo on Monday we managed to do it today. It doesn’t take long, less than an hour with both of us working at it. Windows are not included in this cleaning but all mirrors, cabinets, drawers, shelves, etc plus bathrooms, shower, floors and carpets get a tidying up. I’m a reasonably tidy person to begin with so I don’t ever have a huge mess to clean anyway but it’s nice to give it a good tidy once a week.

Our walk this morning was in a partially new location but we managed to incorporate RSG in to our walk as well. We parked on Holly Drive just before Radium Springs Road, walked along Cherry Laurel Drive to Redbud Drive to RS Road, along to the garden, thru the garden and then we back tracked the way we’d come. It took us an hour but we managed to see some new sights which are the pictures tonight. 
 
 
 
 
 
Same house, different staircase.
 

After our walk we headed out to Walmart to pick up a few groceries and some diesel as we’re heading out tomorrow morning for Hinesville and I like to leave with a full tank of fuel. We probably won't have internet connection until we arrive in Montgomery, Alabama so I will write the blogs and post them when I have a connection. Therefore there may be a couple in one day, like today. From Walmart we came home, Riley put away the groceries while I started cleaning up outside. I had to dump the tanks which was an issue. The Honey Wagon had to come twice today to pump the septic tank here as the water was filling it as fast as they were pumping it. Plus there was a blockage in the line between us and the tank which had to be removed. So it was almost 5 pm by the time I had the tanks dumped but I’ll give them a little go in the morning as well. We showered tonight and no sense hauling that water for a few hundred miles to dump in a different tank. 
 
 
 
The windows are too tight to the roof.

 
 
 
 
 
 
I’ve noticed while walking here that the windows in some houses seem very close to the roof, while others seem to be in a normal location. I have no idea why that is and I don’t know a building contractor here to ask.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is such a pretty house.
 
I put away the outside stuff, chairs, bbq, mats, etc. After that I greased up the hitch and the pin, backed the truck around the guy in spot 2 and the hydro pole in my lot and while I'm not hooked on I should be able to wiggle my way into place in the morning. The guy in spot 2 was moved here after the big flood but was supposed to be here for 2 weeks and be gone last week. His job has been extended for at least 3 months, so needless to say he hasn’t left yet. He parked his rig up pretty far in the slot and because he wasn’t going to be here long, no one cared. Now I can’t use the pull thru and it’s pretty tight to get the Dogsled in to hook up  but we shall see how it goes in the morning. I’m certain we’ll make it okay but it’ll be a bit of a pain in the ass to get out. I considered asking him to just back up a few feet because he’s going to move into my spot when I leave so he has to move anyway. Oh well, it is what it is. I left the water, sewer and electric until morning. 


Love the different types/sizes of windows. Such a small space for so many windows.

I read some this afternoon and talked to the lady next door for a bit, talked to Steve for a bit, and managed to ask the guy with the fancy truck if he minded if I took a couple of pics. He was very kind and gave his consent. He has a nice Dodge Ram 3500 (yes I know it's not a Chevy, but it's a nice looking truck) with a Cummings engine, two tone and it’s usually spotless, he even parks on a carpet at night. With all the rain though his truck isn’t as pristine as normal. The thing about the truck is the RIMS. They are very special rims, each rim cost $2250 coming in at a total of $10,000 for the four rims. Each rim was fabricated out of ONE solid piece of aluminum, 8 hours to make one rim. I thought of my nephews when I first seen the truck thinking how much they'd love the rims. Sorry guys the best I could do was a couple of pictures for ya. ~laugh~ There is another truck in the park with similar rims but not quite as fancy and I haven’t been able to see it or get a picture. I’ll just have to make due with this truck. ~laugh~ 

Nice looking truck!   

Dinner was baked potatoes, steamed veggies with garlic and basil thyme chicken breast. We didn't find the garlic to add any flavour to the veggies, not sure if it's because we steamed them or if we didn't put enough on. The garlic here seems to be pretty strong and so we're always careful to not add TOO much. Next time we'll add a bit more and see if that makes a difference. 
 
 


So we hope to be on the road by 9:30 am tomorrow. Wish us luck. Again, probably no internet for the next couple of days. 

Thanks for stopping by, hope you enjoyed your visit. Feel free to leave a comment. Until next time...be safe, take care.....

No comments:

Post a Comment