Our Location: Buttercup Ridge, Roseneath, Ontario
(Today's pictures are from April 22/23 weekend with Courtney & Matt)
We've had a lazy few days with some what iffy connections so I've saved myself the frustration and just not tried to post or even go on line much. The off/on isn't the happiest of buttons and seems to work fine but then changes it's mind. Fickle would the word I think that would apply here.
|Riley wasn't too happy standing there.|
The weekend was cold due to the clouds and winds we found ourselves with. The temperatures on Saturday were pretty cool, we didn't top out over 44F/6.6C, and yesterday was a high of about 60F/15.5C but the wind on both days had us bundled up for any ventures out side which were very few. The rain and extremely cold winds caused us to have ice on the steps of the Igloo Saturday overnight into Sunday morning. Hopefully those cold days are behind us.
A chat with my best friend Linda way up there in the cold north of Lively, Ontario (a little town near Sudbury) had us beginning to rethinking our northward trek. Snow, cold temperatures, and rain are still issues up in the north. Their Camp on Manitoulin Island still has snow, lots of snow in some places and the temperatures aren't any higher than about 37F/3C until the upcoming weekend. So that gives us pause for thought.
|Sisters on the bench.|
A chat with my Aunt Shirley the night before had netted me about the same information with a few variables as they live in a different area of the Island.
|We still had some snow when they were here.|
A chat with my dad yesterday also helped to give us the incentive to stay put a few more days. So we now plan to arrive on May 9 or 10 instead of 5 or 6. Not a lot of time but there it could be make a huge difference. Hopefully the rains in the forecast help things along. The ice in the bay hasn't even begun to go out, and remains frozen solid at the shore line with a testing last week (not by my dad) that had it registering 2 feet/ 60 centimeters down the bay near Jocko's Point. That's a lot of ice for this time of the year. So with the ice solidly locked in the bay the temperatures at our summer location will be governed a bit by that cold surface. There is talk of delaying the opening of the sailing season of the Chi-Cheemaun for a while until the ice or at least a portion of it moves out of the bay. It goes out the channel in the little village of South Baymouth which is where the ferry docks. Ice and the ferry in the small channel at the same time would not be a good mix.
|That is where we parked last fall, out by the hay bales.|
So our plan is to remain here until May 7th, which will be a week from today. We will then head northward taking our time and arrive at the Island 4 or 5 days later than we planned last week which was already changed by a few days. Our original plan had been to leave here today, April 30. So as you can see spring is still slowing slugging it out with Old Man Winter. I personally don't recall the last time there was snow on the Island at the beginning of May.
|So muddy and wet out there but it's starting to turn green.|
A chat with my sister in law Janet yesterday also provided us with some interesting information. She and hubby Dennis left Indian Wells on Sunday for a little jaunt up to the Julian Pie Company, a pass along the Salton Sea and near the little town of Borrego Springs where she and friend Sue visited Riley and I. She informed me that not one camper was in the area in which we parked, nor were there many in either of the other two locations Rock House Road or Henderson Canyon Road. She commented that they were almost empty. The temperatures have been pretty high in the area, reaching into the 100F/38C in the Indian Wells area a bit further north, so I imagine everyone has headed off to better climes. I know we left due to heat when we visited in early February. However apparently a cooling trend is coming to Indian Wells, it should only be in the mid 70's/ 24C this coming week.
|Still some snow with standing water as well on April 22/23.|
The sun is shining this morning but we have once again cycled the furnace as we have for the last 4 days now. The wind is the great equalizer here in Ontario, where it goes from bitterly cold to balmy warmish over the course of the year. Those cold north west winds can be brutal can't they?
|Can you see the wetness of the drive way in this picture. Step on that stuff and you sink.|
We have tended to stay inside most days, with a few little short jaunts outside. It's just too cold for me, not to mention the mud. We are high and dry here on the circular drive by the house but everywhere else is like a day at the spa, a mud bath. I wouldn't say we are hostage but we are being held pretty close to home due to wind, mud and cold temperatures. Lots of reading, a bit of napping and some planning have pretty much taken up our time.
|North side of the house on April 22-23.|
So thanks for stopping by.
Until next time... take care, be safe,