Thursday, December 1, 2022

My first few steps into the Cargo Muchacho Mountians....

 

Our Location: 

North of MM 4, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, California

 

Cooler this morning but still nice. Riley and I decided separate walks would be good this morning and I took the Dogsled back toward the mountains, for the first 3000 steps. How do I know it's that many? Well that's where we walk to and turn around pretty much where I parked and so I know it's about 3000 steps to that point. 

 

Sunset, Nov 30.

I followed this arroyo for a ways this morning.

Then the stones got bigger and the sides got higher.

 

My trusty feet carried me into the very edges of the Cargo Muchacho Mountains. I climbed just a little but it was a good start for future efforts. Once again all photos are with my phone! 

 

The mountains are calling, can you hear them?

I love the stark beauty here.

The arroyo got a bit rougher as I moved closer to the mountains.

 

Back home there was a message to come pick up the generator at Liberty Motorsports on Yuma Avenue. So we climbed into the Dogsled and headed off to pick it up. I thought the bill a bit high but with a new plug, filters and oil, it probably wasn't. From there we found some juice for the Big Dog and for the generator as well. Soon we were rolling along back home. 

 

I think this road might lead to a open pit mine back there.

I wonder if those are test holes for gold up there?

Way off is the Imperial Dunes.

 

I'm trying to get my posts finished by 4 pm MST so often times the last half of the day is missing. I'll fill you in on late yesterday's happenings. A call to sister in law Barb (married to brother Rick), had me being caught up on the latest news and gossip. Barb and her sister Connie have booked their winter getaway for the end of January to the DR. We hope they have a fabulous time!!! Brother Rick was standing near an exploding paint bomb and is a bit the worse for wear, but apparently alright. Cousin Bob Blue had a run in with a table saw and came out on the wrong end losing at least 1 finger and possible 2 or 3 before all things are figured out. Bob had a stroke a number of years ago and of course this hand is his good working hand. It's a tough thing for sure.  We hope both Rick and Bob have speedy recoveries and stay out of trouble for a while. 

 

Regulars to the area know this sign.

I followed that ghost of a trail.

Some pretty impressive views from a little higher up.

 

A call from my dad after chatting with Barb made the rest of the evening. Snow, snow squalls, cold north winds and very gusty blasts seemed to be the weather there, and dad thought maybe 3 inches of snow on the deck at the time of our talking. Hopefully the snow ends soon!

 

I like the contrasting colours.

I wonder if I could climb up there?

Those amazing Imperial Dunes way off in the distance.

 

So ends another post. I hope you enjoyed your visit. 

 

No trip to this area is complete without a picture of the black mound.


That ghost trail I followed was leading me to this. Come back tomorrow for more photos of my walk.

 

Until next time...

 

Take care, be safe, 

 

Deb

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful detail in you pictures today. I like the color contrasts of the mountains and the rocks along the arroyo. Sorry to hear of Bob's injury. That is not good when you only have one good hand. Hopefully, he will be okay. Glad you got your generator back so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I didn’t go far or climb much but it was fun, I’ll get better at it and find some higher places to climb.
      Bob is a great fella and he will have to figure it out as he goes along.
      The generator was pretty quick, he said a day or two and just dropped it around noon the day before.

      Deb

      Delete
  2. Sounds a lot of mishaps back home. You be careful on that rough rocky terrain. Ankles get twisted to easily at our age, even though i have a few (!) Years on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of things happening back home but it is what it is, they are tough fellas.
      Ankle top hiking boots keep that from happening and the trail while a bit skinny was actually pretty stable. The shale is pretty big and won’t slide too easily or very far. Thanks for the concern though,
      I appreciate it.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. Deb, your pics are great & show the terrain,distances just fine- a lot more convenient carrying the phone plus safer walking than a camera too.Enjoy your blog & travels with Riley.Have a great winter there- oh ,the weather in S Georgian Bay is the same as your Dad’s.🥵 Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is lighter than with the phone than a camera but I miss the fine detail of the big camera. I’m glad you are enjoying the travel with us.
      The lake does have some interesting effects on the weather all year but I think the winter is the most dramatic with the streamers. Stay warm.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. Yes, those Cargo Muchacho mountains are a rugged bit of business alright. There is some neat old mining equipment lying about here and there as well as old timbers from the mine sites. What's left of the old mining town of Tumco is just a few miles north of you on the east side of Ogilby Road. The big tanks you see in the distance are cyanide tanks. Cyanide was used in the mining process. We have hiked in and walked around those tanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have visited there as well and walked around the tanks. I really enjoy the sand formations over there at Tumco. It’s on my list of places to visit. The Cargos are very stark but I like them, they seem full of promise in some way, perhaps it’s the lure of around the next corner will be an even better view. Or perhaps it’s just something in me that wants to peek over the ridge or down into that valley that makes me enjoy this area. Regardless of what it is, I will keep coming back as long as I can.

      Deb

      Delete
  5. The promise of gold had lots of miners in that area. Mostly they found a lot of rock, but wasn't silver more prevalent than gold? You need a metal detector!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea about silver or gold but I thought you needed a burro not a metal detector. Lol. I believe the lot of rock part of your comment ‘cause there is an abundance of it here.

      Deb

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures as always. I can see why people become rockhounds down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get my climbing legs back I'll go deeper and higher. The views are fantastic. It is extremely rocky here and with the sand dunes so close you have wonder how that is possible.

      Deb

      Delete
  7. That little trail, uh no thanks for me. Good for you getting out and getting the exercise! :) Speedy recovery wishes for your brother Rick and Cousin Bob. Oh to lose your finger (s). Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick and Bob will bounce back, they are both pretty tough fellas, but the loss of fingers on the only good hand will take some getting used to and relearning how to do many things.
      The trail was actually pretty good, and I only need one foot at a time in each place. LOL.

      Deb

      Delete