Tuesday, December 13, 2022

I'm taking you into an arroyo today....

 

Our Location: 

North of MM 4, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, California

 

A very quiet night last night, and a colder than usual start to the morning with our outside temps being at 35F/1.6C. It wasn't long though until the sun popped over the mountains and the temps started rising. 

 

I love the colours of the barrel cactus.

 
As you can see they are very sharp, and this one has some spent blooms.

Not quite transparent.

 

Today we have no plans but some for tomorrow. So I don't want to over due anything today and instead of a hike, I thought I'd take you through the arroyo behind us. The photos show various things I found there, including the different bed bottom from gravel, to sand, to rocks. All of the changes were within a very short distance,  about 500 feet, give or take a bit. 

 

 

Lots of dead wood, various kinds but whitish in colour and littering the ground.

A few hardy cactus grow right in the arroyo, they must have good roots to hang on during the rains.

This plant has big spiked balls on it and looks to grow rapidly.

Some sort of prickly pear I think, but no pricklies.

Various kinds of trash in the arroyos as well, washed from higher up or farther back.

An old metal pail buried in the sand, note how fine that sand is but with bigger gravel and rocks as well.

Very sandy here, gritty and very rolly under foot. Wide too, you can see most of the growth on the banks.

Pattern in the wind blown sand or the small ripples of water left these marks, or both.

You can see closer to the cut edge the gravel and rocks have been ground into a finer sand than out farther.

A definite point of losing speed as the bigger rocks are out more to the middle and far edge.

The White Lion sits atop that bank.

The Igloo and Dogsled a bit down the way also sits above the bank.


 

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your walk in the arroyo. 

 

Until next time....

 

Take care, be safe, 

 

Deb

 

9 comments:

  1. That phone of yours takes great pictures, especially close-ups. I like the way you can see the arroyos. To me they are washes and I don't take the time to look further than the surface, but they actually tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to see when you really take the time to look. That barrel cactus is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, there is a great deal to see if we only look. There were a number of barrel cactus along the banks, all different sizes, very eye catching with that dark red.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. I like what you saw and shared today especially the barrel cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The arroyos always interest me, they change so much in just a few feet. The power of Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. Mother Nature is a good sculptress! I love looking for treasures in the arroyos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful walk today! I agree about the barrel cactus, beautiful! Have fun in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the walk, it was easy and fun. The barrel cactus are always eye catching with that colour.

      Deb

      Delete