Wednesday, December 28, 2022

A successful day for Riley....

 

Our Location: 

North of MM 4, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, California

 

My morning started around 4 am, or at least I was awake for the day by this time. The patter of a light rain on the roof was comforting and when I finally started drinking my coffee around 7 am I could smell the sweet, sharpness of the desert and the rain had been stopped for over an hour. A little ground fog for a very short time and soon it was pushing 60F/15.5C. Riley decided today would be the day to walk back to the cave I've been to a few times this year. It's a long walk from home but she wanted to give it a try. Riley has been walking most days making between 5500 -6000 steps. She was certain it would be a challenge but she wanted to try it. We started off a bit later than we normally do but we took our time, paced ourselves and before long, we were very close and soon we reached the crevice in the mountains. She was so happy.

 

Riley heading up the path toward the crevice in the mountain.

Taking a photo with her phone while she rests.

 

She rested for a while and sipped some water, took a couple of pics and after about 20 minutes we headed back home. We managed to meet some fellow Ontarians, that are in fact parked not far from us. Eric, Susan and their dog Kevin (who is one year old today) were out stretching their legs. They hail from Oshawa, near Toronto. Their first time out here and they seem to be having a great time. We arrived at the Stinger Bee and sat down for a rest while visiting with Deb, Tom (Celebrating the Dance )and Doug (Miss Adventure Travel ). Before long Riley headed home and shortly after I followed along.

 

The view from where Riley is sitting. The Igloo, Stinger Bee and White Lion are off to the right but not visible.


This little guy was scurrying among the rocks.

  

I'm very proud of her for making the effort to put in double her regular steps and so happy she was able to go all the way.  She checked her phone and found that 11, 480 steps were registered and 4.89 miles were walked in a little over 2 hours. It isn't precision accuracy but it's close enough as the step counter is on our phones. A very successful day here in Southern California. 

 

The ground is littered with these fascinating stones.

It is the copper content which turns it green.

Fuzzy but you get the idea.

 

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. 

 

Until next time...

 

Take care, be safe, 

 

Deb

15 comments:

  1. Wahoo - way to go, Riley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Riley, keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

      Riley

      Delete
  3. You guys are doing great with your walks and I would be hard pressed to keep up with you. Good stuff Riley, keep up that good walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al. I don’t think I will be doing another long one like that for a while but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

      Riley

      Delete
  4. Congrats Riley .... that's a long hike!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was but now I know I can do that once in a while. Thanks Nancy.

      Riley

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Ken and Shirley. I was happy to sit down for a while when we got there though and again when we got home.

      Riley

      Delete
  6. Good for both of you! What is quite the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim and Barb. It was quite the day for me and I am very happy I tried it.

      Riley

      Delete