Thursday, December 15, 2022

A hike today......

 

Our Location: 

North of MM 4, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, California

 

I hiked back to the open pit mine behind American Girl Mine Road this morning. I've been back there a number of times but it's always a good walk and a few sights to see. As I was moving my feet back there two US Military helicopters flew over, very low, I managed to get a couple of blurry photos but at least I got them. 

 

They were not very high up there. Two of them.

I know they are blurry but they were moving at a fair good speed.

Chatted with my dad last night for a half hour or so. Things are going okay, they were calling for freezing rain or sleet and school buses were cancelled for the day. Ah the joys of winter! 

 

I don't think it's desert art.  Maybe the boss' chair?

They simply pulled the sides down and trucked it away, not a massive hole and it does not go into the ground.

I didn't climb up but I did walk the path you can see starting in the middle and going to the right.

 

Doug and I chair hopped from his rig to mine to get out of the wind for a mid day happy hour 11-1:00. We chatted about things to come and our trip yesterday to Mexico. 

 

Very rocky, hard walking so I don't climb much around here.

But I like the views even from small climbs.

The beginnings of the tailing piles. Looks like someone graded a path across them.

 

Errands to run tomorrow will keep Riley and I pretty busy for most of the day so today's hike may have to count as tomorrows steps too. We shall see how it goes. 

 

I live the colours in the tailing pile over there. One day I'm going to walk over there and look at it closer.

Lots of water in the bottom, not sure how deep but there's lots. I like the stepped sides.

Time, wind, water and other disturbances are causing the stepped sides to slide.

 

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed the hike into the Cargo Muchacho Mountains and seeing the open pit mine back there. 

 

Doesn't that look like a very large hand?

I walked this trail for a while but at the edge of the mountains it went the wrong way.

One the left the light coloured spot is the area of the second group of photo above (after the helicopters). 

The light area on the right is the beginning area where I followed the trail that eventually lead to the open pit mine much further back in the mountains.
I am now on my way home from this photo, with about 15 to 20 more minutes of walking to do.

 

Until next time....

 

Take care, be safe, 

 

Deb

 

6 comments:

  1. That was definitely a long walk. I'm sure over 12,000 step. The view from the mountains back over the desert goes forever. I wonder if birds and animals use tat pit for water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just over 15,500 steps, most of them easy. I would think the water would attract them in periods of little rain. I kept scanning the mountain sides but didn’t see anything.

      Deb

      Delete
  2. That's my kind of mine ... no deep dark hole to go in to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I don't do the deep dark hole thing, I'm a chicken. I would like some day to walk down there but it's a long walk. I may employ Doug and his Jeep to get me back there. LOL.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. I had two thoughts about the chair when I first noticed it there. First, someone was using it to hold a target while shooting, or second, someone camped there once and since it was old and tattered, they just left it there. I think the first is most likely after the second thought happened first, as it would have been there already and something convenient to hold a target. LOL. Did you get that? Of course I may be way off base and it could be there for a totally different reason. It wasn't in a wash though, it was high and dry on a level area.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete