Sunday, November 6, 2022

Revisiting an old view.

 

 

Our Location: 

Saddle Mountain, Tonopah, Arizona

 

I chatted with Dad last night for a while, he says the nice weather may be coming to an end for them, although the long range says maybe a couple nicer days next week. He was happy to hear from us. 

 

I'm starting to climb at this point in  my walk.

My goal is up in that notch between those rises.

 

Coolish this morning again, like yesterday morning. In fact the same temperature too. This morning Riley decided to just walk close to the Igloo, her knee has been a bit twingey lately so walking on the flat is a good idea. 

 

Each one is unique.

It's amazing how they are still surviving.
 

I headed back to a spot I remember from being in this area before. It's quite a hike up and down some pretty steep paths but I decided I'd go for it any way. Round trip, heading cross country and not following the paths was just about 4 miles/6.8 km. Took me just a bit less than 2 hours. 

 

The same saguaro as above but a close up of some damage.

I'm climbing but it doesn't look like it.

 

The roadway is often rougher than going cross country but in this case, they were about the same. Off road vehicles have spun and churned their way up and down the paths and therefore often make it extremely difficult. Some of the smaller gravel stones are very easily moved and roll under foot, while others are so big and sit right in the path of ones feet. The ups and downs are steep and rutted, often times it's better to walk beside the trail but it isn't always possible. I'm extremely careful when I do these things, I'm not too daring. 

 

 

I took all of these photos with my phone.

It is a view I never tire of seeing. Pretty rocky over there. Can you see the road along the bottom?

I have found with today's walk already I know I've gone about my limit. I could have explored so many paths there but honestly I just didn't think it was a good idea, I knew I still had to climb up and down to get back to the desert floor and then home. So I left the paths unexplored.  I was happy to reach home and rest.

 

Can you see the hole over there? Now that would be a climb, wouldn't it?

I was happy just making this climb without falling on my butt.

 

We've decided the rest of the day will be just hanging around reading, maybe a few short walks to the road and back for Riley to exercise her knee but other wise I think it's going to be a pretty laid back day. 

 

 

Not a lot of folks camped here anymore.

The pic doesn't show how steep or rough it really is.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. 

 

As you can see, it's a bit steep and rocky.

It is a very nice view. Worth the effort.
 

Until next time..

 

That white line is I-10 East/West.

I climbed up to the flat spot but then turned and headed home.


Take care, be safe, 

 



I went right and home but it would have been nice to go left and see....

 

Sage brush down there in the arroyo.


 
A stunning view.

Deb 

8 comments:

  1. It's interesting how some saguaros end up so rotten looking, like they are dying, and others look healthy. Makes me wonder what caused it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m always amazed at the area nearest the ground and how awful it looks but the remainder of the saguaro looks amazing. Tough but beautiful in as the slowly die.

      Deb

      Delete
  2. Really stunning terrain & pics.Really happy you had your phone with you & were so careful as a misstep wouldn’t be good.Thanks for sharing with us & your Dad is correct,the Georgian Bay weather is about to revert to a more Fall,drat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am happy you are enjoying the views.. My Nikon takes amazing pics of those views but I need to get it to a shop for repair, until then my phone will have to do. Since I usually hike alone I am very aware of a misstep and falling.
      Dad and I usually chat about the weather for a bit during every conversation. We left at the exact right time.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. Beautiful views. I tried walking yesterday and I think it will be awhile reach the distances you travel. Hope Riley gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I’m trying to pace myself but not doing so great. Today I have not walked except during our errands.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. Well now that hole in the wall is more than likely were all the loot/or gold is hidden, Heck may be even the plans for the alien invasion. So good thing you didn't go check it out. Great photos. Be careful. Vern in Boise (walking safely in the park)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your sense of adventure Vern. I was more thinking along the lines of a place to hole up when the weather was bad or for watching over the desert floor for invaders of some sort. Your alien theory is good though!!!!
      I'm always careful but thanks for the concern. Enjoy the park!!

      Deb

      Delete