Tuesday, November 8, 2022

More of yesterday's photos.

 

Our Location: 

Saddle Mountain BLM, Tonopah, Arizona

 

I finally shut the window around 2:30 am last night as a very coolish breeze was blowing straight from the window over my bed. This morning the outside temps were still in the mid 50's/13C, very comfortable indeed. 

 

Everything is up or down hill, nothing is flat and lots of ocotillo living and dead.

The rocks truly are almost a rusty colour. Again it's uphill. 

 
I didn't go any higher. I did go past that lone saguaro over there but couldn't get around the corner. It just kept going.


This morning instead of going off hiking on my own, Riley and I walked in a loop along the roads here, we covered 2.5 miles/4 km with very little climbing involved. It worked for both of us, it pushed her a little farther than she would go on her own and kept me from going farther than I should. 

 

 

It was up and down, over and through, big steps, little steps but always careful steps.

Very rolly little pebbles and stones.

My hiking boots grip pretty well on that clean flat stone.


A text from Doug this morning, we aren't expecting him today. 

 

Phoenix is over that way, as are the Superstition Mountains. I wonder if I could see them from here?

I could have gone higher with a little more effort.

Nothing is flat, you can see the lines down there.

Chatted with dad last night for about a half hour. Not a lot of news but it's nice to touch base and hear how things are going. 

 

I walked over there to the ledge a bit right and lower than middle of the photo.

That white spot way off is the Igloo.

If you look closely that thin whitish line is the trail I walked.
 

The temps today aren't as high as yesterday, we are in the mid 70's/24C with a good breeze. A slight fly problem makes it difficult to sit outside for longer than an hour but yet walking they seem to be missing. No complaints of course but it's interesting. 

 

 

I zoomed in with my phone to give you an idea of how steep and rocky it is.

I don't believe that would be an easy climb and I would worry about snakes right now.

The cave is up there, the guard sits to the right.

Today's photos were taken yesterday on my hike with my phone. I hope you enjoy them. 

 

I am standing above the ledges I wanted to climb on, but can't reach from here. Home is out there to the left of center.

It would be fun to try!

One day I would have liked to climb up there, but I won't.

Thanks for stopping by. 

 

The ledges are down there!!

The way down from my failed attempt to reach those ledges.

Close to home, across that fence is where we usually park when we're here.
 

Until next time...

 

Small blooms on a tiny cactus.

They blend well, don't they?

 
I love the colours of the Ocotillo as it comes into green.

Amazing how the photo above and this one are from the same Ocotillo.

Take care, be safe, 

 

 

Still very picky even though it's not in the best of health.

Now how does this happen?

Amazing how it's all still green and alive.

 

Deb 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures with your camera Deb. You can easily see how an ankle could get twisted with one miss step. I'm hoping to make it there before you and Riley leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. It would be very easy to twist something if you don’t pay attention. We hope you, Yuma and the WL will arrive in the next day or two. Keeping our fingers crossed.

      Deb

      Delete
  2. Great pictures, I really like the close ups of the Cactus and the Ocotillos. I know it is part of the whole circle of life but I still feel sad when I see how a Saguaro is dying near the ground. The little one with the bloom was cute. Plus, I did spot a very green ocotillo...:) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a number of very green ocotillo here as well. There does appear to be more saguaro with a brownish tinge than I remember from past years.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. I love exploring up the mountains like that. Have you been to the cave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the cave has been reached, although I would like too. I just don’t think I can reach it without a great deal of effort.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures of your hike! You are good! Love the small blooms on a tiny cactus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks folks. It almost feels like a discovery when I see them, they blend in so well.

      Deb

      Delete