Wednesday, November 23, 2022

A very long truck ride today.....

 

Our Location: 

MM91-90 SB AZ 95, near Quartzsite, Arizona

 

A very crisp morning this morning, but sunny. Sunny is always good, it makes the day warm up quickly. After breakfast I took a quick walk across the road and snapped a few photos. I'll post them another day. 

 

The Kofa Mountains.


 

Sitting chatting with Doug for a bit this morning, we all decided we take the Dogsled and head back to Queen Canyon. The jeep is too rough for me to ride in for long periods or for rough roads, so the Big Dog filled the bill. We left just before 11 am. 

 

I think that white line in the rock may be a crack and that is sky behind we are seeing through the hole.

We started hiking here for a short while.


Queen Canyon is off of the Kofa Mountain trail, it's 5 miles to the parking area. The road is roughish and much better suited to smaller wheel based vehicle but the Big Dog ran along well. It was after the parking area that I finally decided we'd gone far enough, the sides were getting skinnier and the rocks were getting bigger and so we finally found a place to turn around. It was extremely rough going. Sorry to disappoint you Doug but I'm glad we came back when we did, Riley and I are both just whipped! 

 

Doesn't that look like someone standing there?

I love the ruggedness of these mountains.

 

A few side stops netted us some photos similar to yesterday but in a different area. We parked the truck and took off on foot for a bit, Doug, Yuma and I managed to make it to the top of a small incline that was covered in shale. The views were nice and the climb was a made with some effort.  Yuma is always first to reach the top of course, and Doug eventually made it as well. You can follow Doug & Yuma and see their photos at Miss Adventure Travels .

 


What a difference colour makes. 

 

Back home around 2 pm we all kind of flopped into our chairs and spent the rest of the day doing our own thing. I think the next time Doug suggests a 'short, easy ride' we will go back and look at his blog post regarding the ride before we under take it. It was interesting Doug and I enjoyed the hike a great deal. 

 

Lots of Teddy Bear or Jumping Cactus down there and Yuma never got stuck once. Smart fella!

A view across the way from up high on our hike.


As I was writing this post a BLM truck showed up with a nice park ranger who explained that we cannot camp here but because we plan on leaving Monday after the long weekend is over, the place is clean and we weren't trying to hide, he told us we are good until Monday.  Nice to know, even though there are no signs saying you can't camp here, it is BLM but they want folks to stay in the areas closer to Q. Good to know for the future. 

 

Can you see me up there waving?

How about now?
 

So there you have it, our long truck ride that did not get us all the way to the Skull Rock but we did manage some steps and photos. All in all, a good day. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.

 

Doug and Yuma made it up there too.

Nice view from up here.

Until next time..

 

There's Riley sitting on that rock down there while we went up to the top of the nook.

A hand waving at us.

 

Take care, be safe, 

 

Deb

 

 

10 comments:

  1. awesome photos. Glad the ranger let you stay, Vern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vern. It’s easy to take the photos, Mother Nature provides the work!
      The ranger was a sweetheart!

      Deb

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. From your wave, I know why I was so tired when I finally got up there. Glad the ranger didn't run us off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a climb for sure. I think the ride tired me out more than the climb. I’m happy he let us stay too, although I think because we were pretty straightforward but polite things went well for us.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. I recognized and remembered a number of those Queen Canyon spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed the views but I enjoyed Palm Canyon better a few days ago.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. The views make the ride and climb worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hike was nice and I would like to do more back there but road is really long and roughish. Hard to get over 10-15 mph from Az 95 all the way back there. Probably 45-60 minutes, too long for me on that kind of road.

      Deb

      Delete
  5. That was very nice of the BLM Ranger letting you stay the extra day or two. We've been to queen Canyon a time or two , a very nice area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extremely nice of him and we do appreciate it very much. With the WL being a little shaky I’m glad he didn’t insist we leave late in the day or on the holiday, it would have been very stressful.

      Deb

      Delete