Thursday, December 13, 2018

Hiking kind of day....

Our Location:  American Girl Mine Road, California

A nice night,  I slept well until about 4 AM and then was awake for the day. Warmer temps this morning of 52F / 11.1 C, so the day promised to be a warm one. I made breakfast wraps again this morning, a bit different than the ones of the other day. Good stuff, had us ready to head out for a hike.

The small black dot in the middle of the picture is a deer.

We took the Dogsled about half the distance to the mountains in the back and parked it off the path. Much easier to walk back closer to the mountains this way. We were just approaching the power lines when Riley noticed off to the left something moving about. Sure enough it was a deer. We didn’t get a great look at him as he was too far away but I was able to get a picture or two. The first one we’ve seen around the area. We walked about 5 miles today and still didn’t really reach the mountains exactly. The closer we got to them the stronger the wind and wind gusts. So we followed one of the trails that lead back along the foot of one and into a narrow wash that continued to lead us back into the mountains. We followed it for about a half mile before turning around. The wind was still blowing pretty hard and we decided we’d pushed against it long enough. Turning toward home the wind at our backs it just kind of pushed along to where we’d left the Big Dog. Checking the time upon arrival back at the Dogsled we had been hiking along for just about 2 hours. Pretty good for us.

He was a long way off.

Back home we decided to putter around preparing lunch and just doing a few little things that needed doing. We both had a little nap before lunch. The wind and the sun took a toll on us I think. Lunch today was a big garden salad and a couple of small turkey burgers. Jello of course finished off the meal. It’s amazing how the wind died down between our hike and me starting the BBQ. Of course once the BBQ was started the wind started picking back up. A quick clean up after lunch and we spent the rest of the afternoon reading. The wind of course died down to occasional gusts after the BBQ was shut off. 

Riley resting on our hike.

A couple of helicopters have been flying over us the past couple of days and late this afternoon they flew over again but one was almost low enough to skim the roof of any rv parked in it’s path. It didn’t stay low for too long but it sure was taking a much closer look at something. The second one maintained a good height though, not bothering to drop down for a look. 

We are close. 

Riley and I are getting ready to sit down to play a game of Blue Damn It as soon as I post this blog. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. 

We followed this for about a half mile.

Big hole in the side of the hill. We didn't investigate.

Until next time… take care, be safe,

Wondering if these may be Javilina tracks in the wash.



  1. Really enjoyed looking at your pictures from the last few days. I especially liked the ones of the owl in yesterday's post. That is just sad about their dog.
    Sounds like you and Riley are really enjoying that area. Tom and I have parked there twice and are hoping to make it three times in the next couple of months. Stay safe.

    1. Thanks Deb. It was still dark when I noticed the owl and I didn't have a zoom lens on the camera nor a tripod but it was an interesting sight for me anyway. It is very sad about the dog perhaps it's a lesson for everyone.
      Riley and I are enjoying the area a great deal. Lots of walking/hiking for us and interesting places to explore.

      Take care, be safe,

  2. Glad you are enjoying that area and getting some good hiking in.

  3. What a great place to spend time. Keep enjoying and stay safe.