Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Beautiful day, sunny skies, warm air.....



Our Location: BLM, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, CA

No rain last night but a heavy dew that made the outside of the windows mist over as well as water balls on the BBQ cover. A pretty sunrise this morning followed by a truly nice day with the sun shine and warmth we’ve come to expect during the day times here in the southwest.


Sunrise this morning. It was pretty but not spectacular.

Lots of moisture on the Weber cover.

 We didn’t have any plans for today except to get out and walk and so that is what we did. Of course we both went in opposite directions and arrived home at different times but it was an enjoyable hike for me and Riley seems to have gotten back into the walking routine as well.
 

Fog back near the open pit mine.

I climbed this hill today but the looking down is deceiving. It was much higher than it appears.

Of course you know I headed for the hills right? I started back toward the open pit mine but changed course just after I crossed the power line road and headed more toward the old town site of Tumoc. I didn’t go that far but I headed in that direction. 

Looking down into the wash you can see it's dry.

This one is also dry.

For anyone that has ever walked the desert floor you know it is anything but smooth and straight forward. There are washes and gullies, big rocks, little rocks, holes, heaps and growth that must be stepped around as many of them are thorny, picky or down right grabby and they hurt. So when I say I walked in a general direction that means I kept a spot in my eye but weaved my way to it. Sometimes you can walk an extra 1/2 mile or more out of your way simply because of the obstacles that you must get around. Today was no exception. 

Barrel Cactus
 
We parked over there close to that black hill when we were here the last time.

I ended up back in the same area as the other day (pictures with my phone) but didn’t stay there, instead I headed further off toward the north west. I managed to scramble up a few of the hills to get better views but as they were a bit on the rough side I didn’t go too far or up too many. I found only one gully that had any water in it and then only in a few spots, and I crossed many washes and gullies. I noticed where water had made it’s way down over the sand in places but it was gone, either evaporated, run off or soaked in. 

Looking out toward the dunes.


Looking off toward the area of Tumoc.

I was gone about 3 hours today. It was a pretty good hike, it was warm by the time I reached home around noon (AZ time) and I was happy to come inside and rest. I spent some time reading, doing a few little puttering things and before we knew it the sun was heading down. The day slips past pretty quickly here in the southwest and I’m not sure where it goes but I seem to be able to put the time in with no worries about being bored. 


A few of the cactus I noted today.

This was an extremely big Ocotillo on the top left, and the flower is also from an Ocotillo but not that one. The rocks were impressive today. Very flaky and shale like.
 
A few new folks moved in today and a few more folks left today. Amazing how they come and go so quickly and so quietly. One minute they are there and the next they are gone. Stealthy folks they are!!! Talked to my dad again tonight. Very cold there he says and will remain so for the next number of days.
 
This wash has water in it, you can see it in the shade.

This one is dry.

Thanks for stopping by I hope you enjoyed your visit. Tomorrow we have errands in town and will be out most of the day I think. I hope we remember the camera and then of course to take pictures with the camera. Often times we take it and never take a single picture. 

I climbed up in there a bit today.

Not a bad view huh? Those white dots are rigs in the area we are parked. They are quite far away.


 Until next time…. take care, be safe, 

Tonight's sunset.


Deb




8 comments:

  1. Really do enjoy exploring the desert so peaceful, scenic and mysterious all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is all of those things George.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. 3 hours! You're a lot tougher than me for sure! Great pics and looks like a wonderful day. Time sure flies doesn't it. I always hope to be bored to make time go slower, but it doesn't work! Before you know it the day is gone!Love the sunset collage..but I love the desert sunsets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....it wasn't all spent climbing most of it was just walking across the desert floor to reach the home or the hills.
      It was a wonderful day.
      Sunset has a way of using so few colours but using them so spectacularly that I think makes it a very special time of the day.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Love exploring also and noticing how the desert changes in different areas in relation to which side of the mountains you are on. The Ocotillo is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always want to know what's around the next corner. You are correct about the change depending on which side of the mountain one is located. It makes a huge difference. I'm always amazed at how different it can be.
      The Ocotillo here pretty much very green with only a few brown ones here and there. They are such a magnificent display of beauty and beast. Those thorns could do a number I'm sure. The flower is dazzling in it's vibrant colour and such a compliment to the bright vivid green of the leaves. I can see why it's a favourite.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are truly enjoying the place you are parked at. I am going to say it again, I love the pictures you are posting of the area. Beautiful. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. We are enjoying the area and if we were staying much longer we'd move spots to make the hills more easily accessible.
      I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures. The Ocotillo's back in the hills are vivid green and stand out for a great distance against the black backdrop. You'd enjoy them I think.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete