Sunday, August 27, 2023

We are nearing our last full month in our summer spot.

 

 

 Our Location: 

Summer Spot, Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada


The temperature this morning was in the single digits on the Celsius scale, a mere 7C/ 43F. It warmed up as the day went on, just like the desert, although not nearly as quickly nor as high. It turned out to be a nice day and just like the desert, started cooling off quickly as the sun started it's descent. 


Sunrise, August 21.

 

I thought I'd share a few pictures today, as I have very few words to share. 


On a ride to the Sugar Shack I stopped to take the bottom three photos in the above collage. We call it 'going over the rock'. There is a trail that wanders around through the trees, it runs past all of the favoured maple trees for spring tapping. There is also another one that runs along the fence line to keep an eye on anything that might fall across the wire. The top left picture was taken upward toward the Igloo from the bottom of the pit, within a few weeks the leaves will be turning and the colours will look amazing. The top right picture was taken about half way up the side of the hill on a very steep roadway. As kids we used to toboggan down that hill, we banked the corners and enjoyed a fast ride down. The walk up was always difficult.  


    

                

A bit of colour in the greenery.  Some seeds getting ready to drop and get set for new growth in the spring.  There is much beauty here and I some times fail to see it, kind of like not being able to see the forest for the trees kind of thing. I guess writing an odd post now and then helped me realize what I've been missing. Thanks to my good friends Deb & Tom for giving me a little push to drop a post now and then.

 

 
 
Jason has been busy over the summer working on the lake property. So I thought I'd post a few pictures to remind me of the progress between old and new.  The top left picture is how the old cabins currently sit in construction to becoming one cabin which they will use while building their new home and possibly be turned into an Air BnB at some point. The middle right picture is the inside of the right cabin.  The outhouse, bottom left, is the only thing that hasn't been touched in any way. The two water pictures were just nice pictures. 
 
 
 A note of congratulations to our friends Linda and Randy, and their son Micheal and bride to be, on the birth of a son Weston on July 29. All are doing well and the proud grandparents are extremely tickled!
 
 
 Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed the few pictures!!

Until next time...

Take care, stay safe, 

Deb


14 comments:

  1. That was a good suggestion from Deb, whom I haven't heard from lately either.
    Things are progressing at the camp.
    Congratulations to your friend's newest family member.
    Hoping to be reading of your newest adventures.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good suggestion and I'm trying to keep up my end of the bargain. I haven't heard from them either.
      Jason is working hard and things are really shaping up differently in just the few short months he's been working at it. Considering he has two other jobs (one a full time shift job and the other is starting his own electrical business), it's amazing he's getting this much accomplished!
      Thanks for the good wishes re: Weston.
      WE are looking forward to the fall and another adventure. Perhaps you and Kathy will be blogging about your own adventures. The desert air is good for aches and pains!

      Deb

      Delete
  2. I might not head south TOO soon ... it's hotter than heck everywhere down here!! Maybe follow a path of "cool" heading this direction!! I always love to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't be heading SOUTH to the desert for a while, but we leave our summer spot and head to southern Ontario for a few weeks, depending on the weather here on the rock. We often spend a couple of weeks at Buttercup Ridge and a few days visiting my other two girls. It's always a guess as to what the weather will be like. Thanksgiving is usually our indicator of an early departure or a few more days of fall colours. Our Thanksgiving is in October.
      I never can find much of interest for pics for the blog after a while. I feel most people are tired of looking at the view at the lake, the green of the trees and the reoccurring mushroom/fungi growth on the trees. LOL

      Deb

      Delete
  3. Good to see what you have been up to! I thought maybe some of the trees up your way had already started turning but not yet I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I haven't been doing much of anything except working. It keeps me sane and out of trouble. Mostly.
      Some of the trees are changing colours, I'll include those ones in the next post. It feels really early for the leaves to be starting to turn, so we aren't sure if it's due to the lack of rain we had earlier or if fall is actually coming early. I guess we shall see.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you, Deb. As with you it has been a quiet summer here, although quite hot this last month or so. Always good to see pictures of your beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. Nice to hear from you. I hope all is going well. I thought maybe we might have an update on the White Lion by now, I've been watching for one. It would be interesting for you to do a post from home and let the rest of us see YOUR home area!! Hope the cool weather comes soon for you folks, although I could use a bit more heat up this way if you feel inclined to send it our way!!!

      Deb

      Delete
  5. It is always great to hear from you, not much from Deb and Tom. They also need to practice the suggestion! ☺️
    I'm sure my posts get boring to everyone but it is what it is. We are heading out in October 15th but if you need a place on your way through sw Ontario, you are certainly welcome. Love the pictures, the cottages will be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm getting myself into the idea of blogging more often in preparation for our upcoming winter travels. I think it may be easier if I ease myself back into it.
      Thanks very much for the offer of a place to stay, we greatly appreciate it and will keep it in mind.
      Jason is working hard on the property and I'm certain it will be very nice when all is finished.

      Deb

      Delete
  6. I just returned from inspecting southern Arizona & Southern California for all you snow birds, ( No it wasn't a forced march) but was still very hot. It's all still there just as you describe it and waiting for your return. I always enjoy all your photos and possibly the only way I will if see that part of the world. So keep up the good work. Vern Boise ( still in the high 90's )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't begin to tell you how much we all appreciate you doing that bit of recon for us!!! It's always nice to know that the desert is still there Vern! Hopefully Boise cools off soon!!

      Deb

      Delete
  7. Those are some chilly temps you are already having. It won't be long before your thoughts will be turning to upcoming winter travels. I envy all you folks who are still mobile. Be sure to enjoy every second of your days away when they come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are looking forward to our winter adventure for sure. The temps this year are off by a lot and it feels like we only had a couple of weeks of real summer weather. Hopefully the fall is warmer than the summer!

      Deb

      Delete