Sunday, March 17, 2019

A change in destination and plans....



Our Location: Socorro, NM

(2nd post today)
 
The day dawned with blue skies but cold temperatures. A heavy layer of frost on both the Dogsled and the Igloo was melting off by 8:30 am when we headed out. A couple of big rigs parked around us and a noisy engine was the back drop for last nights sleep. Oh well, we survived. 
 
The formations here at amazing.
 
Pulling out of Deming we headed north east on NM 26 to Hatch, the Chili Capital of the World. A very nice drive, good road, little traffic and wonderful views. A stop in Hatch at one of the little Chili Stores just to stretch and have a look. We chatted with the fellow there and he told us there was 6" of snow earlier in the day yesterday. We missed it by stopping in Deming. 
 
Blue skies and empty roads, what more can a person ask for?
 
At Hatch we hung a left onto I-26 North passing by Truth or Consequences, Elephant Butte and a few other little spots as well. We arrived at the town of Lemitar, NM and looked for the BLM land located here but couldn’t find it after looking for more than 40 minutes. I won’t go into the details but I’d like to give Garmin this GPS back with specific instructions oh how to UPDATE it and where they can put it after the update.
 
Riley noticed these guys in Hatch, NM.

We finally decided to do the logical thing and headed to the Walmart here in Socorro. We were greeted warmly and told we can stay for 3 to 4 days if we like. Thank you but 1 night is enough for us. We’ll move on tomorrow instead of spending the two days here we had planned had we found the BLM. 
 
If you've ever driven through Hatch, NM I'm sure you've noticed these fella's on the corner.

The day is sunny, and the skies are blue, blue, blue. The temps are reading about 56F/ 13.3 C with a slight breeze. A wee bit cool but still nice. We’ll take it and as many more as we can get. 
 
On both of our visits through Hatch we have stopped at this spot. Those are RED CHILI Peppers hanging there.

So that’s our day today. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.
 
Scenic drive today. 
 
Until next time…. take care, be safe,

How can one not love these views?
 
Deb

(I realize in our last post from Las Cienegas I made an error in the time zone line, we lost only ONE HOUR crossing into New Mexico and will lose another when we cross into Texas. I inadvertently looked at the wrong  directions in our travels and was looking at our travel between NM and TX when I noticed the Time Zone Change but thought I was looking at Arizona to NM.)




10 comments:

  1. Glad you are moving right along, some of this BLM areas are hard fo find. I never trust a GPS eraser first in google maps is usually a lot more accurate. Good luck with you next destination and travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like this particular GPS and I'll have it out with Garmin when I get back to Ontario. It's very disturbing. I'm not convinced the BLM land was very big or very popular. Another time if we are in the area I may look for it again.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. You're making good mileage so be Safe watch the weather and Enjoy the change of scenery.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. Our 200 miles a day is enough for us. I'm tired at the end of the travel time and always happy to sit down and put my feet up.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. You and Riley are making good time. Too bad about not being able to find the BLM Land. Cannot believe there was snow in New Mexico in March. Crazy weather this year. Always enjoy the ride through Hatch; we have never seen a place we thought we could park with the motorhome. Where did you park as I would rally like to stop if we go that way on our way east. Continued safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLM land is hit and miss anyway but at least we looked. Hatch is a sweet little spot. We parked next to the curb across the street, careful not block any house driveways. The streets are plenty wide enough and it was a Sunday morning, no one on the streets anyway.
      We had been hoping to stay at the BLM land near Lemitar but we couldn't find it so we chose Walmart for the night. WE are staying at Bosque Redondo Park near Fort Sumner for 3 nights. No hook ups, but garbage cans, and a couple of vault toilets ( I haven't checked them out). Not spiffy but clean and welcoming or at least I think it is. I'll post some more pictures over the next few days. Some picnic shelters, grills and tables as well. A number of spots available.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. You two are really moving along too.We enjoy Hatch although, like Deb, can never find a decent place to park with the Suite and explore the town.
    Safe travels for the remainder of your journey and we hope the weather stays warm for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have simply pulled up at the curb both times we've stopped at the little shop. The streets are lots wide enough. I believe there may even be a curb line painted on the road but I'm not sure. It wouldn't do to let you explore the whole town but a shop or two would be okay. I also think if you look around there may be a couple of bigger areas on the way into Hatch from the south east, I thought I noticed a couple of bigger lots that I'm pretty sure wouldn't mind if you spent a half hour in their lots.
      Thanks, we are hoping for warmer weather and bluer skies.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Got to admit I love Hatch NM! Just too cute! Great pictures of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. I always enjoy the little towns, so interesting and I want to stop at them all but of course I can't or we wouldn't get anywhere. LOL.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete