Monday, March 11, 2019

Another windy day....




Our Location: Las Cienegas Grasslands, Arizona

A decent morning today, but the wind picked up once more. The light rain I heard as I drifted off to sleep around 1:30 am didn’t really amount to anything. Warm although not hot, the wind makes it difficult to walk here. I’ve found I need a hat when it’s windy. 
 
I walked past here.
 
A few chores this morning had me heading out for my walk around 10:30 or so. I met Riley coming back from her stroll and we exchanged a few words before we separated. 
 
Pronghorns, some behind the hilltop as well.
 
I spent my walking time of just under two hours doing about 5 miles. I walked past the Empire Ranch Headquarters toward AZ 83 for a bit before turning around and coming home. I sighted the Pronghorns again on my walk, 8 or 9 of them I think. They were curious and watched me for a while but didn’t seem worried until suddenly their heads all came up and looked back toward the Ranch House. They stood frozen for a few seconds before they took off running, crossing the road in front of me and heading off into the bigger fields. Three motorcycles went past which I’m sure was the thing that scared them. I didn’t see them any more, the Pronghorns nor the motor cycles. 


They took off running.
 
Back home we puttered around doing a few little things before settling in to read for the afternoon. The wind picked up making it once again an inside day due bits of dust flying around. A chat with my dad to assure him we are not in the tornado warning area, and that we are expecting an occasional thunderstorm or two tonight and tomorrow but with only partially cloudy skies today and tomorrow I don’t know if we’ll have much rain. 
 
They weren't running flat out, but they were moving along.
 
Tonight I chatted with daughter Courtney in Toronto. No new snow, lots of rain over the weekend and now Toronto has lots of ice from the melted snow that froze over the last day or so. Courtney is off on March break. Also chatted with my friend Linda in Lively. They have a lot of snow and have had more over the weekend and today. Hubby Randy is off somewhere ice fishing for a few days, comes back tomorrow. Linda and I chatted for an hour or so before feeling caught up enough to say our good nights. 
 
He's the last one, just getting ready to cross the road.
 
So there you have it, another very quiet day here in Las Cienegas. Winter storm warnings for elevations over 6500 feet where snow can be expected, a lot of snow. We are fortunate being around 4500 feet with no snow in the offing. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. All of today’s photos were from my walk and taken with my phone.
 
The clouds are moving in as I walk.
 
Until next time.. take care, be safe, 

The shadow between two patches of sunshine.
 
Deb


10 comments:

  1. Too bad it is so windy there the weather has been pretty good at lower elevations, but we did get sone rain today and expected tomorrow. Enjoy the Empire Ranch some interesting history there. Love the pronghorns running by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too are having rain now. All last night and again today. Although the sky is looking brighter over to the southwest. Maybe it'll clear up and be warmer. We knew the higher elevations would be less warm but I didn't think about the wind. Oh well, we'll remember for next year.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We most definitely are enjoying our time here.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Tom and I walked through that area you are talking about, in yesterday's post, and after reading the signs I would not do it in the wind even without wind we were moving. Those are some large tree stumps. I do not recall that we saw any pronghorn they do look beautiful.
    Great pictures especially the ones of your Sunday Sunset so pretty. It looks like the trees are outlined in fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to do that path but the trees worry me and so I think I would perhaps walk on the upper side of the gulch and not down on the path but that is for another year. The cottonwoods didn't appear to be dead, except one that had a rotten middle so I can't imagine why they would have cut them down. The Pronghorns are very pretty, majestic in some ways.
      The sunset was breath taking. I've never seen the entire sky look like that. I'm so happy I captured it.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Nice being so close to nature and the fact that they are not scared of you.
    Great pictures again.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. They seemed content to watch me walk past but the rumble of the bikes caught their attention and soon they were long gone.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. We've always enjoyed our stays there in the grasslands with it's sweeping views, roaming Pronghorns and cattle. It's a great easy walking area. Beautiful starry nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying everything except the wind. I will admit we've not been outside after dark here but we've had many cloudy nights. The views are amazing. The cattle, like the Pronghorns seem content to watch, but most do watch, almost ready to bolt in another direction should you step toward them. Our summer place also has cattle roaming but they aren't as skittish as these ones.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete