Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Sierra Vista today....




Our Location: Las Cienegas Grasslands, Arizona

Warmer this morning than yesterday morning, today we were at 47F/ 8.3 C when I looked at the temperature around 7:30 AM. Not a bad start to the morning. Plans today but no hurry to get out the door. We enjoyed some breakfast, a hot drink and a visit with our blogging friends before we loaded up the truck to head into Sierra Vista for some errands.
 
A watering hole with some pretty green algae on top.
 
We first decided we’d check out a few things in the area but after about a half hour turned around and headed back toward the Ranch House entrance/exit. I had thought to take the BLM road out to AZ 82 but didn’t as I was worried it might become too soft. After turning around and getting on AZ 83 we took a scenic sort of drive toward AZ 82 which intersects with AZ 83 at the little hamlet of Sonoita, AZ. We hung a left on AZ 82 and motored along the road way passing Quail Ridge Campground where we have stayed a time or two in the past. We screeched around the corner onto AZ 90 heading toward Huachuca City and Sierra Vista.
 
Can you see the snow through the tree?  Love these grasslands.

Our first stop was on the far side of town at Best Buy to get a new power cord for my Mac. Expensive and I ended up bringing home the wrong cord. I’ll have to return this one, it is about 2 pins too large. Oh well, we need to go back for a couple of other things before we leave the area anyway. A total of $104 CAD for the cord, and I’m thinking I’ll just return it and make due with this one until we get back to Canada. 
 
So pretty, so vast, so inviting.
 
From Best Buy we headed off to Fry’s Grocery and man was it busy today. The first day of the sale flyer and I had I known I would have held off another day. However we were in and out without too much trouble, loading our purchases into the Big Dog before we pulled around to the Juice Bar. With our VIP Fry’s card we saved 10 cents per gallon today so we paid $2.69 per gallon instead of $2.79. Yeah us!!!!

Can you see the cow down there?

 After we left Fry’s we cruised on over to Walmart to get a few other grocery staples that we need. You know I used to bake bread at home, from scratch, with my hands, no bread maker, and I love the smell of freshly baked or baking bread but as we walked into Walmart the smell was horrid. I have no idea why that would be but it was almost enough to make me turn around and leave the store. Riley also mentioned it to me and had the same reaction. I’m glad we don’t eat their bakery stuff.
 

This cow got off the road when the car behind approached, then back on the road until we got closer, back off and after we went past she came back on again. Too funny.

 
After doing our business at Walmart we headed off home thinking we’d get water at the Ranch headquarters but lo and behold on our way through Huachuca City we spied a water dispensing machine at the car wash, and whipped in there to fill up our jugs. Very reasonable $1.25 for 5 gallons or 30 cents per gallon. We filled them all before heading back home. 

The same mountain peaks we see out our window.
 
Back home around 2:30 pm we managed to get the groceries all put away, everything separated for the freezer as well before we had lunch. I always like to get the separation accomplished as quickly as possible. We almost always have to repackage things in single one meal size packs for our use. We like being able to pull a single size packet out of the freezer in the morning for our big meal at lunch time. 
 

Wonder if it's round up time? Statues or metal work off on the hilltop.

 
The afternoon was warm but with a pretty strong breeze that has since died down. High today was 83F / 28.3 C and the numbers have been dropping in the last hour or so, as I type this at 6:30 pm the temp is down to 60 F/ 15.5 C and still heading downward. Big swings make the chilled air seem much cooler and the hot air much hotter. However this is not a complaint, just once again stating the facts. 
 
The junction of AZ 82 & AZ 83, the town of Sonoita welcomes everyone. I think that may be a Texas Longhorn. Statues again.
 
A chat with my buddy Ron tonight has us finalizing some plans to get together with him and Sharon, his lovely bride of many years. We’ll be heading north of I-40 this year on our way home before we reach Memphis and so will be by passing our stay at Big Buck to spend time with Ron & Sharon instead. We are so looking forward to seeing them again. It’s been a couple of years since our paths last crossed.

Not our white tailed deer but they sure are pretty in this setting don't you think?
 
So that was our day, thanks for dropping by, I hope you enjoyed the visit and made yourself at home. 

We didn't have the zoom lens so it's a bit blurry.
 
Until next time… take care, be safe,
 
What an amazing ranch this must have been in it's time.
 
Deb



12 comments:

  1. One of my favorite places to camp. Been there twice for weeks and never got a photo of a pronghorn antelope. Lucky you.

    Should be about the time for the horse riders to show-up for a riding competition. Keep a look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a number on the hillside when we drove in yesterday. Very interesting looking animal.Glad we could show you one!!
      We'll keep an eye out for the horses would love to watch a few of those competitions.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Do like your views of the grasslands and the mountains in the background. Tom and I spent the day driving through there, checking out the area and the ranch, last year when we were staying at Quail Ridge. We do really like that whole area of Arizona. Enjoy your wonderful spot and stay safe. Hi to Riley. (((hugs))) to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE do enjoy the views, they are spectacular, very comforting and almost a cross between home and desert. Trees are getting more plentiful and the grass is much like hay back home. I think you and Tom would enjoy some time here. Very quiet, scenic and inviting.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Don't know if you know it but the First Wednesday of the Month is Senior Day at Fry's Grocery. Seniors get 10 percent off so that is why it was so Busy when you were there. I always remind my son and his wife to stay clear of Fry's Grocery on the first Wednesday of the month to avoid the big crowds. Of course I am one of those seniors shopping that day getting my discount, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha....thanks Gail. I didn't know that either. I just assumed it was because it was the first day of the sale flyer. Live and learn. By the time I come back next year you'll have to remind me again because I will have forgotten.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Glad you are enjoying that area and having some decent weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like it here, very nice, relaxing, and we know the area around Sierra Vista of course so it's all helpful.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Hi Deb, yes Doug's beautiful AERC horse trials marathon is next weekend 3/15 thru 3/17 at Las Cienegas. He and Yuma were camped along the trail near the finish line - and all the horses and riders in beautiful colors paraded right past his chair. Doug got some truly amazing photos out there on the American Serengeti grasslands. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Moonfly, welcome to A long and lonesome highway.
      Yes I recall Doug's photos now that you mentioned them. The area is truly amazing and we're looking forward to perhaps seeing some of those beautiful animals during our stay.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. Love my Mac, but those cords are expensive. Still wouldn't trade it for anything else. That's something about the smell at Walmart..I know I love the smell of baking bread too! You have some really beautiful pictures today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Mac, I'd never give it up and go back to Windows. I can't find a Mac cord anywhere else but I think I may just wait to get back home and order one to be shipped, I'm sure it will be about half the price.
      The smell was off putting, didn't encourage me to want to shop.
      Thanks, the Grasslands offer a whole different view than I've been photographing so it's interesting and challenging too.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete