Saturday, March 23, 2019

Hail, thunder, rain, and lightning...a flat tire too....



Our Location:  Hereford Aquatic Center, Hereford, Texas

No blog yesterday so I’ll do one big one tonight. Friday was a sort of quiet day, we did a fuel run (forgot to take the camera so no photos of that), a few groceries and found a First National Bank with an international ATM. Back home we enjoyed the rest of the afternoon just puttering around and doing a few little things. 
 
It was dark over there, the water was a dark green colour.
 
Well that is until I noticed one of the trailer tires looked a bit slack. Sure enough down to 40 pounds. Looking around I noticed a nail head sticking out of the tread. I was not impressed. Alison offered to remove the tire for me (she had also taken a nail out of one of her tires here the day we arrived) for me on Saturday (the next morning). 
 
A bright spot among the darkness.

Looking at the sky and checking the weather we were in the path of a severe line of thunderstorms moving at about 50 miles an hour through the area. We found a place here we could take refuge if necessary, pulled in the big slide and hooked up the truck due to the extreme winds that we were expecting. Soon the hail came, started off small, like the eraser on the end of a pencil, ending up about the size of a marble. It went on and on and on and on and on. Eventually it turned to rain and eventually stopped but for a couple of hours it was an ugly night here. A fair bit of lightning and some thunder but not the big winds they were expecting.
 
It was very dark to the north of us and we thought at first it miss us.
 
A few small dents on the truck but nothing major, and I haven’t yet climbed up the ladder to look at the panels on the roof. I will when we park in Natural Falls State Park. Still this morning there was a great deal of water laying around everywhere but I didn’t see any damage. Lark (a lady from Wisconsin and a friend of Alison’s) had both of her vent covers broken by the hail but other than that we couldn’t really find any thing except a couple of small dents on the vehicles. I think we were fortunate. At one point the hail covered the grass and the pavement, like snow. 

But then this rolled right over us.


This morning dawned with bright blue skies and warmer temperatures. After coffee, Lark left, heading toward Oklahoma City for the  night before heading on home. Alison came by to take the tire off and lucky thing she did because only two of the bolts were what one would consider is tight, the rest were snug but not as tight as they should have been. With the tire off, we headed to Walmart to get it patched. They assured me it was patched and plugged but I’m not so certain.
 
It was clear then to the north.
 
Back home Alison and I put the tire back on and went around to check all of the wheels, just the one with the nail was questionable, the others were all fine, very tight. So I’m not sure why that would be but I’m going to keep an eye on it for certain. 

After things settled down, it started to clear up.
 
After that I helped Alison with a couple little things, we chatted for a couple of hours discussing many things. Finally we parted ways and I came home to have some lunch, Riley and I spent the rest of the day doing a few puttering things. 

Blurry but you get the idea.
 
I chatted with my buddy Ron, we’ll be meeting up with him and his lovely wife Sharon on Tuesday. We are looking forward to that, it’s been a couple of years since we’ve seen them. 

Still raining but you can see the hail stones washed into piles. That isn't white stones, it's hail.
 
So the day is winding down and tomorrow we are off to Elk City, OK. One step closer to our week long destination. Hopefully we get no more bad weather. So that’s it, our last couple of days. 
 
The water has heaped the hail in piles.
 
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.  
 
That's water running down the sidewalk into the pond. A accumulating in puddles in the parking lot. I didn't do any enhancing of any kind to this photo. This is how it came from the camera. If you look at the first photo in this post you can see how dry the parking lot is before the storm.
 
Until next time… take care, be safe, 
 
Deb









16 comments:

  1. I always hate hail storms. They can do so much damage so quickly. Glad you came out with only a couple dents. Good thing you caught the nail in the tire while you were parked. Safe Travels..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike hail as well, we had once before but in Alabama 3 years ago. Not fun at all. It was a lucky catch with the seeing the nail. I'm so tired of tire issues. Haha.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. First of all glad to read you did not get the expected winds. Though it sounds like you still ended up in a pretty bad storm and hail can be so damaging. Those clouds look wicked. I really like how that last picture turned out.
    I also have to say the picture you took of the moon in your last post between the trees with the reflection in the water. What a great picture.
    Take care and safe travels.
    P.S. Glad you were able to find and take care of the screw in your tire while you where parked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I'm happy we dodged the wind as well. Not fun with the hail but at least it was compounded by the wind too. Some seriously dark clouds though.
      I loved that photo of the moon as well. Very peaceful.
      I was glad to find the nail while parked too. Hopefully that's the end of the tire issues for a while.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Good thing you survived the storm with minimal damage. And got you tire repaired and wheels properly tightened as well, safe travels, we are just east of you a couple hundred miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to say we survived the hail (I haven't been on the roof yet to check out the solar though) without too much damage. A couple of dents I can live with. I have no idea what to say about the tire or think but I'm happy to have found the nail while we were parked and not on the road side somewhere.
      We are moving to the east a couple of hundred miles over the next few days. We'll be in Natural Falls State Park starting on Tuesday for a week.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
    2. I don't think That is too Far from Grove Ok where we will be for a week or so also on Tuesday.

      Delete
    3. I'll check it out and maybe we can get together if it's convenient and not too far of course.

      Delete
  4. Those are some pretty intense storm clouds! Glad to hear that you made it through virtually unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They were pretty dark and the water in the little pond was green, like storm green when things are churning from the bottom. I was happy with just a couple little dents.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Some of the storm pictures really look scary! Nice that you found the problem with the wheel and had help to get if off and you were able to get it fixed. I love the last picture! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm was a little intense hail and rain wise but I was so happy there was virtually no wind or very little wind at least.
      I was happy to find the nail issue while we were parked and not stuck on the road side somewhere. If the nail had been on the bottom it may not have leaked enough to register on a tire check but since it was on the upper part off the ground it was easy to find. Alison was a doll to help me out. She was so happy to help us.
      I thought the last picture was a bit eerie, the colours were so unique. I didn't do anything to it, no enhancements or brightening, it just came out that way.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. Glad you weathered the storm. Those spring storms can be frightening. Good catch on the low tire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm glad we managed the storm with so little damage. Never fun to be in those situations but it is what it is.
      I was happy to find it while parked and not on the side of the road.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  7. Don't you just hate the sound of hail coming down knowing there is absolutely nothing you can do about except pray it stops. Hope the truck and trailer survived with minimal damage.
    Great that you spotted the low tire. Having a flat on the side of the Interstate would have made for a BAD day!
    Continued safe travels east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing quite like the sound of hail hitting your home for sure. I was so happy when it stopped. A few dents (but I haven't checked the panels yet), so I'm happy with that.
      Very true, a good time is to have it when parked and not on the side of the road.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete