Thursday, January 17, 2019

A busy day.....

 
Our Location: BLM, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, CA

A wonderful night’s sleep for me and I lazed in bed until about 7:30 AM just because I could. Today was scheduled to be a busy one and I wasn’t in any hurry to get started. We chatted over breakfast and soon after had the laundry sorted, jugs collected, garbage collected and were piling into the truck to head out for our day in town.

Organ Pipe Cactus (?) at a fuel station in Yuma.

Love the bright colours.

Our first stop was the rest area on I-8 west to fill up some water jugs, and dump our garbage. From there we stopped at the Chevron Station to fill up our drinking water jug before we headed off into town. The drive was uneventful, just the way we like it. We pulled into the laundromat to find both front and back lot very busy so we opted to return to do the laundry at a later point in the day.
 
A view from inside Joanne's Laundromat in Yuma.

Off we headed toward the Arizona Market Place after a small tour of a few streets that truly had nothing to do with our day. We found the Market Place easily and were surprised at how many cars were in the lot, although the place didn’t seem to be busy once we started walking around. We found what we wanted and before long we were heading back toward the laundromat. We managed to find a Good Will store where we dropped off a bag of clothing that we no longer wanted. 


The beginning of sunset.

Back at the laundromat we found it almost empty and quickly went about getting things into the washers and before long into the dryers. Four loads, washed, dried and folded within 2 hours. I was happy. We were out the door and moving on.
 
The sun is sliding slowly behind the clouds.

We found a Fry’s but opted instead for Walmart and within a minute or two were parked and shopping at Walmart. Groceries that hadn’t been in stock when we were there the other day is what we were looking for, but still a few holes in the shelves. After that it was a stop at Wells Fargo Bank to pick up some cash and off we headed home. 

The sky is a mix of blacks and yellows.

The Agricultural Inspection station was once again an interesting part of the trip. A female inspector asked us if we had any fruit. So using the standard answer I’ve been told works every time, I answered,” yes, we purchased our fruit at Walmart a little while ago.” and handed her the receipt. She then informed me she would need to see the fruit. So as I started to open the door to step out she asked me where I am from. I replied,”Ontario, Canada.” She asked if we were spending the winter in the area. I explained not the whole winter but a portion of it in this area but will be moving on soon. She asked if we were staying at the Dunes and I said no, Ogilby Road area. How much longer are you in the area. Answer, about a week. She then decided that she didn’t want to see the fruit and told me to go ahead. So we drove away more confused than I have been originally over the whole thing. Why would how long I’m staying make a difference? It’s the same fruit it was when she asked to see it. Needless to say I doubt we’ll be purchasing any fruit in Arizona while staying in this area in the future. It’s just too bizarre and confusing. 


It was 3:30 pm before we had everything inside the Igloo. After getting things put away we opted for a quick and easy bite to eat and a chance to relax from our busy day. We spent some time with our books and just enjoyed the peace out our window. 

 
Riley once again enjoyed a campfire tonight. She’s getting into the same habit she has in our summer location. She enjoys the campfires there as well. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. 
 
The colour is slowly fading in the west and soon all will dark.

Until next time… take care, be safe,

 
Deb



 

10 comments:

  1. Nice to get those chores taken care of and back home again. Funny with the two weeks we spent at Pilot Knob i was stopped at the inspection station only 3 times usually waved through and went through there almost every day. Continue to enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also at times get waved through and I thought I would once again try your very words. Once they worked when we were here last time and this time they didn't work but something to do with the length of time we were going to spend worked. So I have no idea.

      Thanks George. Our time here is getting short but we've certainly enjoyed it.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. We very seldom get stopped. The other day the agent asked if we were coming from Yuma. That's about all. What laundromat do you go to? Did you go to the Walmart on 24th? We drive by that Walmart to get to my aunt's house. It's also the store my mom used to go to. Every time we drive in the parking lot I feel a little "sadness". Oh well. Have a great day! Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been stopped a couple of times and other times we're waved through. Again I go back to what the fellow told me a number of weeks ago. It all depends on who's on the booth, the new hires are book followers and the long time hires are aware of the problem with shopping in this area.

      We went to Joanne's laundromat, sorry off of the top of my head I can't tell you the street. It's not the cleanest one I've been in but it's not bad. It's much less expensive than three or four others we checked and the cleanliness was about the same.

      The Walmart was beside the Game Stop and I do think it was on 24th. I could get out the GPS and check but I'm pretty certain it was.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sunset pictures! That certainly is confusing at the inspection station for sure! Definitely sounds like a busy day for you two. We love campfires too, Riley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. It was a busy day and Riley relaxed at day's end around the campfire. She finds it soothing.
      I find the inspection station very confusing indeed.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. You are giving them the wrong answer. It's government stuff so they want you to lie, just like the politicians. Just say no as fruit from the store is not considered fruit for their purposes. I try to be honest but sometimes stupid government stuff deserves a lie. If they were to check it's easy to say oh, I forgot that store bought stuff.
    Make your life easier.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I've always thought the truth was the RIGHT answer. Government does require a different set of rules at times, that is true. Thanks for the insight.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. I expect that once she figured out that you weren't heading out into the growing regions of California she lost interest in what you had.

    ReplyDelete