Thursday, December 8, 2022

A trip to Tumco ........

 

Our Location: 

North of MM 4, Ogilby Road, Winterhaven, California

 

Riley and I were lazy this morning and didn't head out for our walk until the clock was closer to 9 than to 8 am. We walked toward American Girl Mine Road and reached the outer fringes before turning around and heading back home. We both had over 6500 steps before we were back home.  Only a short piece was difficult walking, the rest was pretty good. Riley stopped at home but I slipped over to the White Lion to check on Doug & Yuma.  Doug and I chatted for some time before I left him with a decision about what we should do today. His choice and he chose to use the Dogsled and go to Tumco. So that's what we did, Doug, Yuma and I, Riley opted to stay home. I think a wise choice in hindsight. 

 

Last night's moon rising.

That same moon this morning on it's way down. Taken through my window.

As the moon was going down, the sun was coming up.

 

The drive is about 4 miles from home and before long we were out of the Big Dog and heading off through the desert floor. Doug remembered seeing a big hole in the side of a mountain with a cage barring the door so you can't get in, he said the hole was big enough to drive a truck into. He's positive it was here at Tumco. I didn't recall it, and I've walked a fair amount there but none the less, off we went with Yuma in the lead. We wandered around for a long time, up hill, down hill, over hill, around hill, you get the idea. We searched and searched but came home empty handed, no big hole that a truck could get into. Lots of shafts that go straight down with cages over them, and a smaller cave like hole but nothing that he remembered. 

 

Doug, Yuma and I visited here today.

We believe these are graves. There are two cemeteries in this small area.

This is just sand but beaten, wind blown and hardened by the sun.

 

It was a nice long hike and I enjoyed the views but it was too long for both of us and I think we are both going to be paying for today's adventure for a day or two.  I walked 6 miles/ 9.7 km which is just under 16,000 steps, so far and it's only shortly after 4 pm. It took me a little under 3 hours to do that. It was not all at once of course, my first  6500 steps were my morning walk. However I enjoyed the walk and I hope you enjoy the photos. 

 

 

Doug was concentrating on something.

Inside one of the holes in the sand banks.

I'm sure some of you are tired of these kinds of photos but they fascinate me. The rock is paper thin.

Talked to my dad last night, he had an early appointment in Espanola and so stopped at the Centennial Manor on his way home to visit his friend Marion, who had a birthday yesterday, she turned 94. He was there when the flowers Riley and I ordered were delivered, they apparently made her day a bit brighter and gave her a reason to smile. Since that was the purpose of sending them, they accomplished their goal. 

 

We found this opening and of course the two fellas had to go in, but not me.

 
Blurry but you get the idea.

It's very stark but very pretty.
 


Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.


If you want to see more photos of today's hike, come back tomorrow. I'll post some more.

Until next time...

 

Take care, be safe, 

 

Deb



7 comments:

  1. Nope, I never tire of those kinds of photos. I too find them fascinating and having been there I know it to be so:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy to hear that Al. I often wonder if folks are tired of the same old things but I like ‘em and like you never tire of them.

      Deb

      Delete
  2. Good job with all those steps. The views are still awesome, no matter how many times we see them. That's the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many steps for me. I will be taking it easy for the next day. I enjoy the things I see, they fascinate me and I never tire of them.

      Deb

      Delete
  3. Interesting site. I imagine the monsoon water running through the area wasn't good for the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not, but it wasn't in the best of places to begin with. However it is always fun to visit.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. You have such an adventurous spirit and I love getting your posts. Have fun and keep safe
    Sally

    ReplyDelete