Thursday, December 29, 2016

Into every life a little rain must fall......



Our Location: Devencrest Rv Park, Albany, GA

A little cooler last night, and today was a mix of various kinds of weather. No complaints though, still better than being back in Canada!! Today's high reached about 73 F/ 22 C, however the night is cooling off very quickly, it's already dropped over 20 degrees and should drop another 15 to 20 by the time it bottoms out tonight. We will definitely have the windows closed tonight. 

Today's pics are from our walk along the Riverwalk in downtown Albany. 



 After breakfast we headed into the city and drove straight to the hospital and tucked in behind is a blood lab which I was more than happy to find as I require blood work once a month, but my Rheumatologist, Dr. Bobba agreed that I could have blood work down here once every two months. December marks the two month mark since my last one late in October.  




The wonderful staff were mystified by having a Canadian to deal with and no insurance company or US Dr to enter into any of those wonderful little boxes that require such stuff. It was easier by far to just give them the address here at the park as my home address. I had to chuckle to  myself when the lady told me she wasn't used to working at the front desk and that's why it was so difficult for her to input all the data, she spread her hands and said,"this is what I usually do" meaning draw blood. She's good at it I'll tell you. Although I felt nothing when she put the needle into my arm, I've felt it more and more as the day went by and it's starting to get quite the little bruise there now. ~laugh~  She thanked me for my patience while she was entering all the information and for helping her to figure out a bit more about the front desk work, and I thanked her for all her effort, her wonderful sense of humour and her expertise. I think we both learned a bit today and I think we both appreciated the patience and the effort on both sides of the desk.





 Looks like a typical fall day, cold and blustery with a chilly wind, but the truth is it was a bit cloudy but warm, very warm and humid. We had on short pants and short sleeve shirts/ t shirts. We walked out to the underpass bridge at US 19, and then took the nature loop as we've done before.

Right Pic: beginning of the nature loop.

Left Pic: the field before the nature loop starts, all dead grasses and cloudy skies.


 We enjoyed the nature loop, it is very green with massive vines growing everywhere. They appear to be the size of young trees but are vines that spring up from the ground and wrap themselves around other trees, and often times the vines have vines growing on them as well.

The clouds gave way to sunshine during this part of our walk making it seem even warmer, we were starting to take off cover shirts and just wear t shirts. While walking you would truly think you were deep in the woods but for the noises that echo around, vehicles, construction sounds, city sounds, train whistles. This part of the path is very noisy but the beginning of the walk is more park like with much less noise and again very few people. 

right, center, left pics: all vines growing/invading the trees. 
 

As we turned the corner heading back towards the beginning of the trail we noticed it getting a little darker and the wind picked up quite a bit. The clouds continued to roll by and we found it a bit less humid with the wind. We were about the .5 mile marker when the skies opened and we were drenched within 10 steps. ~laugh~ I mean it just started to rain, not a pitter, patter, but a splash, crash and no use making a dash kind of rain. By about 20 steps my feet were wet and I was squishing with each step. Rain was running down my face as if I were in the shower. ~laugh~ There was no place to take shelter and it was too late anyway, we were both soaked to the skin. I didn't take any pictures, I was afraid my phone would get wet and I truly didn't want to stop to take any. ~laugh~ 



 Pics are both of the Flint River at the picnic area of the nature loop.

 
To say that we were surprised by the rain would be an understatement, as it didn't look threatening at all when we left the truck. To say that we were amazed how much rain fell in such a short period of time would also be an understatement. The rain stopped and started numerous times before we managed to get back to the Dogsled. Wrapped in blankets to keep from getting everything wet, we drove home. We were fortunate that it wasn't a cold wind blowing. ~laugh~





Home to the Igloo, a change of clothes, a good laugh, and lunch were the next orders of the day. (Clothes are still hanging in the shower as we can't put them in the baskets wet).  We watched the movie Three Kings with George Clooney, Mark Wahlburg, and Ice Cube while we had lunch. After that it was time to settle in to some reading. I truly love a good book!!!



Dinner was excellent, Riley cooked again. Such a wonderful break it is for me and I truly appreciate it. Riley made up some turkey burgers, and a huge packet of veggies for the BBQ. She added some toasted English muffins (toasted on the BBQ) instead of hamburger buns. I enjoyed a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies and she enjoyed an orange to finish off our meal. 

Clean up and then we had a game of Yahtzee. I won by 7 points. ~laugh~ 

Left pic: thru the trees if you look carefully you can see the bridge over pass on US 19. The RiverWalk goes under that overpass.


I chatted with my dad for a few minutes on Skype tonight. He didn't seem able to stay on line, whether he was playing with buttons or just had a bad connection, it's hard to know. ~laugh~ I also managed to chat with my sister in the early part of our walk this morning. It's always nice to hear from folks back home and see how they are managing in the cold weather. 

On that note, I'm going to sign off. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you have enjoyed your visit. Please feel free to leave a comment. Until next time....be safe....take care....






















No comments:

Post a Comment