Sunday, February 17, 2019

Horses, guns and a short drive....



Our Location: Near Tonopah, Arizona

The morning started off a bit cooler than yesterday but still nice. Lots of sunshine and warmth as well. Upon opening the door I was surprised to see a white horse galloping past between us and the fence heading toward Courthouse Road. No rider, no saddle, only a halter. Hm....now where did that come from. Stepping out I noticed a neighbour parked down the way with a horse trailer. I'm guessing he must have some how gotten loose. I came inside to put my shoes on but decided against it as I'm sure they would notice a missing horse and hear it coming anyway. Dogs started barking and when I looked out again it appeared he was tied up. Good, wouldn't want him running loose on the road. 

Looking out the window, love the shadows on the mountain.
 
A lazy start to the morning as Riley and I debate our doings today. As our debate was going on a small silver car stopped on the roadway beside us and a fella started heading in to chat. I met him outside and he informed me was going back behind to shoot. He wondered if anyone was back there. Hm...now how would I know who might be there? I didn't say that but I thought it. I explained I didn't know but that I do know folks walk back in that area all the time and tried to send him down the power line road around the back side of the mountains as there were lots of washes he could use. He seemed determined to do his shooting back behind us and well,  I truly didn't care, it's only for a short while but I'm not leaving the Igloo until he's gone. I don't need any air conditioning on my person as it's not THAT hot out here. 

Looking a bit farther to the south out the same window.
 
The lighting makes a huge difference in what you see.

We hopped into the Dogsled for a bit of a drive and checked out our old location of a few weeks ago. Still lots of folks over there, some new, some not. We didn't see any spots we liked and so off we went in search of something else. Saddle Vista Ranch is just a while down the Salome Highway and that was our destination as they have a large sign reading RV DUMP STATION at the road. We headed off in there to check things out. Sure enough, they do indeed have a dump station. For $15 we can empty our tanks, fill with water and garbage disposal is a $1 a bag. Depending on how big the bag is. He even sells spindly branches of firewood, stocks milk, orange juice, eggs (duck and chicken) and I'm under the impression that if one uses the place regularly he'll probably discount the dump fee. A little skinny getting in I think but we'll see how that goes tomorrow or the next day. We are in need of a dump and since we aren't heading off to Superstition Mountain just yet we don't feel the need to drive the miles to Love's when this fella is less than a couple of miles away. 

There are three or four rigs over there at the base of the hill.

Back home we checked out a few more spots farther back behind us but I think we'll stay where we are as it's convenient and we like it. So after a short tour back behind us with the Dogsled instead of walking, we once more headed off to Igloo. We arrived to find the shooter gone and the lady with the horses finally set up. 

Even a van or something over there starting up the hillside.

As we enjoyed our readers I looked up to see the lady riding the white horse but leading the second chestnut horse, this horse had no saddle either just a halter and lead rope. I wonder if it too escaped and she had to go catch it. Two dogs with her inspected our location very thoroughly before being called off and heading home. 

Do you see the head of a person in this photo? I see him every time I look out the window. I call him Fred.

A phone call from my Dad's house had me chatting with niece Nicole for a few minutes as she was setting up his phone on the computer. Once it was set up they were happy and signed off. Suited me fine, I was having something to eat anyway and didn't want to talk with food in my mouth, but also didn't want my food to get cold. 

Another face, this one is laying flat, I can see eye lashes and a few whiskers as well. Almost no chin on this fella.

To cool to be outside as the wind continued to pick up as each hour passed. The sky became very dark and cloud covered but no rain fell, and soon the clouds blew away but the wind still blew. To cool to be outside and no where to get out of the wind except in the shade which was too cool. Inside looking out was the way we spent the rest of the day. 

Love the bare rock, looks almost like a saddle!

So a quiet Sunday but we learned something today and hopefully we'll be getting out tomorrow without the gun enthusiast in the back yard and I can once again take a walk. My energy level encourages me to walk in the mornings, the afternoon walks just don't seem to happen for me. 

Tonight's sunset.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you had a wonderful day. 

Very golden!!

Until next time... take care, be safe, 

Goodnight from Saddle Mountain BLM.


Deb



8 comments:

  1. Another wonderful dessert day, too bad about the brutal winds, we are lucky to find a nice sunny spot out of the wind. Enjoy more time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. We still enjoyed the day, no snow, no ice and we didn't need to the heater on to stay warm. It's all good.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Those winds have been brutal all over. We're in for a couple of days of cooler temperatures again, still better than back home and we aren't shovelling any white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come and go and I suppose we have to expect them here in the flat lands where there isn't a lot to hide behind. We too are getting cooler weather and like you I agree it's not nearly as ugly as back home. So no complaints from us. We are thinking maybe of heading farther south again but we shall see how it goes.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Can't believe that guy wanted to shoot in an unfamiliar area where there are people walking everywhere. Not smart. That little RV place down the road is interesting. I went there to do some clothes washing. He was selling several chickens and one got away. Had to laugh watching the buyers running all over trying to catch her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting place, I agree. I never thought of laundry there but I then again I wasn't thinking of much other than tanks. Interesting fella to chat with for sure. For the difference in price and the mileage using him makes more sense than driving all the way to Love's on I-10. Didn't you help try to catch the chicken? Yuma would have caught her quickly. Haha

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures again Deb! You certainly have the gift! Love the sunset pics! Hoping to meet up with you two next year..unless you want to go home through Nevada, you are always welcome here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. We were hoping to meet up with you and Ken as well but things just didn't seem to work out. Next year hopefully will be the year.
      Thanks for the offer but it's too cold this year. Haha. Apache Junction called for wet rain and snow mix tomorrow. I think I'll head farther south instead of north. Another time though we may just take you up on your offer. Stay warm up there.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete