Saturday, August 29, 2020

Travel plans, catching up and quiet times.....

 

 
Our Location: Summer Spot, near South Baymouth, Ontario, Canada


I’ll bet you thought I forgot all about you, well you’d be wrong. It’s pretty quiet here at the best of times and with this pandemic still chasing us all around, it’s even quieter and I had nothing to write about. I salute those that find something to write about every day, I don’t have what it takes to do that.



This doe seemed to hang around for a couple of months. She would show up in various places including the ridge outside our dining room window.

The weather has been great for the most part but like others I’m sure we’ll all be happy to be rid of the humid conditions soon, not to rush fall or winter though. Sweltering heat here with high humidity has been the story for most of us in Ontario this summer and we here in the northern part were a great deal more fortunate than our friends and neighbours in Southern Ontario.  I think we can all agree it has been a summer unlike any we’ve ever experienced before with weather and pandemic being the top of the news for a very long time now. Hurricanes, tornados and floods are now more and more in the headlines as well. Certainly not the type of summer we are used to and our thoughts go to those that have and are suffering and struggling during this very trying time. Hopefully the coming weeks and months bring relief, promise and hope to all.

 

I haven’t been keeping up with blogs nor Facebook so I have no idea what’s happening with everyone. The pace of life here is very different and I find it’s bedtime before I think of turning on the computer and by then I’m ready to call it a day. So I apologize for not commenting and keeping up but as we all know, blogging is to be fun and not a chore.

 




These colourful mushrooms are starting to appear in lots of places around our summer spot.
 

Today’s photos were taken mostly with my phone, although a few were with the camera out the dining room window. The photos range from wild life to sunrises and a few things in between, taken over the past number of weeks since my last post. I hope you enjoy them.



These two photos are in the village of South Baymouth, near the ferry terminal. Very rough waters out there in Georgian Bay made for a few very rough trips on the Chi-Cheemaun.


Both the snake and the hummingbird were photographed out the dining room window.

Riley and I have decided we will be staying in Ontario this winter. With Covid 19 still very much making it’s ugly self known we both feel it’s safer to stay where we have family to help should it be needed. So we are currently searching for winter accommodations on Manitoulin Island. Something small and preferably in the south east area but we will be looking at everything. Comments are always the same: everyone seems to be searching for a winter spot here this year. So I guess we aren’t alone.

A sunrise shot taken on the way to Dad's house for coffee shortly after 6 AM.



These three shots were taken on a different morning on the way to coffee with the fog hovering, things were damp and the dew was heavy.

 

 Some notes to to share that I would normally mention in my blog but since I’m catching up some may seem a bit out of date to some but I’ll include  them anyway. Some notes will of course be for the future as well, since I’m not sure when I’ll write another post.

 

Another sunrise on the way to morning coffee.   


Another fog covered morning.

Taken between my dad's house and my brother's house with the sunrays shining through a maple tree.

 Condolences to our good friend Sharon and family in the passing of her husband Ron in May. We truly regret not being able to see them on our way home last spring but will always remember Ron’s gentle voice, kind heart and wonderful friendship. We’ve known them for years and have always enjoyed their company.  A true gem and we will all miss you Sheriff.  Condelences as well to the Hall family in the recent passing of their mother Pat, a fixture around Tehkummah for as long as I can remember, a contributor to the local newspaper, she wrote Tehkummah Talk and Times for many years catching everyone up on the local happenings in and around the area. Also to the Ward family in the passing of Susan and to the Oswald family in the passing of Helen. Both of these women were well known in the community, even if I didn’t know them well, and they will be missed greatly.

 

Sunrise one morning as I step outside heading for coffee time.


Birthday wishes to my middle daughter Bradey (July 24), my Aunt Sandra (August 5), my Dad (August 10), cousin Tammy (August 28), our friend Randy (who celebrates today, August 29) and a big happy birthday to my grandson Auston (who will turn one year old on September 12). Happy Birthday as well to my niece Nicole who will celebrate a birthday on September 30. The month of August is also brings us more memories of those that have left us, my mom (whose birthday was Aug 15 and passed on Aug 4, 2003), my late husband Richard (passed on Aug 10, 2006), and my grandmother (whose birthday was Aug 17 and passed on Aug 31, 2005).


The same sunrise as the above photos.

Some other notes for myself, dad’s brother Donnie arrived home almost 3 months to the day after his motorcycle accident. He is now in a wheel chair, but in good spirits and seemingly doing well. He arrived home August 26, 2020, having been injured June 19, 2020 in a single vehicle accident.  Fortunate for sure.

 As I said, I’m not sure when I’ll update my blog again but I assure you all that you cross my mind and bring a smile to my face each time I think of you. Thanks for stopping by!

Until next time….take care, be safe, stay healthy.


Deb

18 comments:

  1. We don't think you will be alone in staying in Canada this year as we have read many Blogs saying the same.
    Kathy did not know those were Mushrooms. She thought they were just pretty flowers.
    We also know what it's like to suffer multiple deaths of close relatives and friends in a short period of time.
    With the Pandemic Slowdown many are struggling to write daily posts. We enjoy reading your Blog so just drop a line once in a while to let everyone know you and Riley are Safe and Healthy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems as if we snowbirds will have to live vicariously through memories, other bloggers and photos this winter. We shall wait as patiently as possible for better times.
      The mushrooms grow wild in the area between our summer location and my dad's house. I thought they were interesting little things.
      We hope you folks stay warm and healthy as well.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. It's really nice to hear from you, and know you and Riley are ok.I hope you find a place you like for the winter months.It would be nice if you could just give us an occasional brief update.-Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. We aren't very exciting people so we don't really have any news to share most times but I will now be making a more concerted effort to post every week or two, just to stay in touch. We have found a nice little stone house to wile away the winter months until we can feel the warmth of spring and will be itching to get back into the Igloo.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Nice to see your blog pop up on my sidebar and glad you have had a quiet summer. Sure looks like there will be a lot of Canadian RV folks spending the winter at home. Even if they open the boarder after September 21rst I still think things could be very politically chaotic and unsettled south of the border. With all the unpredictable unrest it would be wise for we Canadian folks to just batten down the hatches and ride out the winter storms right here in good old Canada:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al. I think there is a great deal of wisdom in your words. Lots of unrest and ill feelings floating around down below the border. Hopefully things calm down quickly and all is well. Time will tell though. While we aren't looking forward to the winter here in the Great White North, we shall take it a day at a time and look forward to the spring. Not much else we can do.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you and know that you and Riley are doing well. We to are looking for a place to stay for the winter in the event that the borders don't open.Will be nice to get rid of the humidity but not ready for cooler temperatures yet. Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. We are doing well, settled into our new digs for the winter and trying to find a way to put in the long hours. We will settle into a routine at some point I'm sure but for now it's long days that should be filled with highways, rest stops and warmth instead of Blue Jays, dark threatening skies and snowflakes. Of course not being able to scratch our hitch itch is also a factor I think.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. I'm so sad everyone is staying North. I was so looking forward to meeting up with everyone again. Take care and maybe we'll see you the next year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me Nancy, we are all very sad not to be heading for the desert as well. However it is what it is and we can always hope for better days ahead, just far, far ahead.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. So nice to hear from you guys! Ken was just talking about you a few days ago. We too are sad that it really is going to be a different year in the southwest this year. Hopefully we can all look forward to the next. Goodluck finding a little place for you two! Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explains why my ears were hot. Haha. We too are sad not to be coming to the southwest this year but we must all make do with the cards we are dealt and hopefully next year will see a return to a somewhat normal way of life. We have found a small stone house that fits us perfectly.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the update. It's good to hear about your plans. Your plans make me sad but it's for the best. Loved all the pictures. Keep in touch even if it's just to let us know that all is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Elva. We too are sad to not be heading in your direction this winter but there is hope for next year. I'll miss that Colorado jeep ride for sure Jerry!!!!

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  8. It good to hear/ read your blog and glad you had a good summer . Very sorry our great neighbors to the north won't be coming to the USA this winter. As you can see from all the comments all of us hope you drop us a blog once and while so we know your doing well . It has been a year for the record books and I wonder if life will ever settle down . So if you get a chance please return , as no matter what the news is there are 300 million of us still being normal . (well for the most part ) So stay safe and the best to you both , and if we don't hear from you again for a while happy holidays . Great pictures . Vern in Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a ray of sunshine Vern. Thank you for the smile!! We will hopefully all return next year with a smile and hug for everyone, or at least those we know. Although I've been known to hug a stranger or two from time to time.
      I will drop a line from time to time but if you think things are quiet in the summer then let me tell you about the winter! Snow will be the topic as there really isn't much else that will happen around the Island while the cold and white stuff hangs around. Perhaps a new flavour to the photos over the winter will be a welcome change. We shall have to see.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete
  9. Nice to hear all is well with you both. Will miss you this winter. Beautiful pictures. Hope you change your mind but if not hope you follow our blogs. Take care and say hi to Riley for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. It seems most of us snowbirds are in the same boat with no choice in the matter. So we shall enjoy the desert through your photos and those of our other blogger friends that can travel to the southwest. You folks will keep us warm, hopeful and wishing for next year.

      Take care, be safe, stay healthy,
      Deb

      Delete