Friday, February 23, 2018

A chore or two, a walk and a good book.....



Our Location: Saddle Mountain BLM, Tonopah, AZ

What a great sleep I had, even with my late afternoon  nap yesterday, by 11 pm last night I was out and didn't hear a thing all night until 6:30 am. If mother nature hadn't called I may have slept longer.  As it is I'm still sitting in bed reading blogs and starting this post, the clock reads 8:07 am. I can see the sun shining outside my window and so I know it's time to roll out and start the day. 


We have no plans for today but I'm sure something will come along, if not, we have some great reading available. Maybe another lazy day might be in order. After all lunch is already made so I can spend some time doing nothing today, except for a couple of indoor projects I have in mind. Little things that will take less than an hour but hopefully make our lives a bit easier. 


I hear Miss Riley moving about, I think it's time to get out of bed and start opening shades, putting on water, etc. You get the idea. 


Up and at 'em, we had our hot cuppa and chatted about plans or in our case, the lack of plans. Neither of us felt much like doing anything and with the cool breeze and temperatures we didn't plan on venturing too far from home. 


We tidied up a bit and before long I had pulled out a few things to work on a couple of little projects indoors. Didn't take long for me to get them accomplished. Nothing fancy just a few little things to make boon docking a bit easier for us. We're always scrambling to plug stuff in and will this fit with that, does this cord reach, etc. Today I solved that little problem. Not as neat and pretty as some but it works for us, that's what counts. 


I installed a short 10' extension cord that runs from the table to the end of the inverter cord behind the chairs. The plugs at the table will allow both the tv and the crock pot to be plugged on without having to worry about connections reaching. Behind our chairs I installed a power bar with six outlets for us to plug our electronics into without any hassle. I had a small 3 plug receptacle at the end of the inverter cord but we couldn't always use all of the outlets because not all plugs for electronics are created equal. Some have to be turned sideways and can only be plugged in covering up another plug, others are too thick to plug another in beside, etc. So with 6 spots we will have no issues plugging in our few items at the same time. Since we use very little power we plug in 3 or 4 at a time. Always during the afternoon when we're usually draining off extra charge anyway.  They may not be perfect but at least there is no duct tape visible. 


After that little job we decided we'd take a walk to settle into the new hiking boots. We both laced 'em up and headed out to walk the roadway and just get used to them a bit before we actually use for anything like a hike. 


We chatted with Vicky (from Oregon), and her friendly black lab Chase. Her hubby was off riding his bike somewhere. They are here to take in spring training, I never asked which team she follows, it didn't cross my mind at the time. I'm not a baseball fan. 


Back on the road we walked almost to Courthouse Road before heading out a bit off the path just to check out the boots. They fit nice but I think I'll need some heavier socks to make mine feel as snug as I'd like them to. However they can't be wool socks so I'll be looking out for some thicker cotton socks. Riley really liked her boots and is very pleased with her purchase. We were back home about a half hour later. Pleased with the boots. 


I sat outside for a bit looking at this mountain I want to climb but common sense prevailed and I'll leave it for another time. I spent the rest of the day reading my book. I finished two J.A. Jance books earlier this week and am reading my 3rd in the series. I like her style, and always enjoy her books, or at least I haven't found one I didn't like yet. 


Riley heated up a couple of bowls of sausage soup, it was wonderful. Hit the spot, tasted pretty good and we have enough for another day or maybe two. How lucky is that? I like those kinds of lunches, just heat 'em up.


I did manage to stumble outside and catch some sunset pictures which I've decided will be the only ones on the post tonight. I managed to make it back home just about dark and slipped inside falling into my chair once again. Patsy was right, they are addictive.  I think tomorrow I'll turn mine over and put in the proper bolts to make it non swivel. Or maybe I won't, we'll have to see what tomorrow brings.


So there you have it, our quiet day where a few minor things were accomplished but nothing much. It's good to sit and rest for a bit, and who knows maybe tomorrow we'll actually get out and about. Time will tell, won't it? 


Thanks for stopping by, hope you had an excellent day!! Feel free to comment. 



Until next time.... take care, be safe, 


Goodnight from Saddle Mountain BLM....

Deb 



10 comments:

  1. I stepped outside late and saw we had a beautiful sunset tonight, but didn't get one picture. So glad you did. Your pictures are gorgeous.

    You got a few things done on this unusually cool day and so did I. Not a day to be outside.

    Met your Oregon friends today. They were driving by and Yuma went to meet them. Nice young couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I was debating about heading out in the cold wind but donned my hoodie and my fleece but forgot my mini gloves but I managed. It wasn't too bad once I started out.

      Good for you, accomplishing a few things is always nice. We didn't venture out too far, I found the wind to be a bit too brisk. Not that I'm complaining but I find after so many hot days the cold ones bite into me more.

      We only met Vicky and Chase the big black lab. She seemed very nice. I mentioned the Petroglyphs to her and the road back into the canyon. I'm guessing they were looking for the writing on the....stone..

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Your pictures of the sunset are wonderful I especially like the first one with the Saguaro.

    The picture you posted yesterday of you and Riley is beautiful!

    We have spent the night parked at a couple of Cabela'a. The ones we stayed at have had a special area set aside for RV's and a dump station plus, one had water. You are right our son's kids really like the place.

    I totally understand Riley's shoe size issue. I have taken a size 11 since I was a teenager. I do not know if this will help but I do a lot of my shoe shopping at Zappos.com and have had pretty good luck with sizes. They offer free shipping and returns which is nice and I have never had an issue returning any shoes. (It is nice to be able to try them on and walk around in them knowing if they do not work it does not cost me anything to send them back.) Plus, I usually get the shoes within a couple of days. Another decent site is shoes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful words and the information. We appreciate it and keep it in mind.

      I didn't know you could park there, and a dump station with water as well? Wow, I'll have to keep that in mind for our travels. We wandered around their camping area for a few minutes just for a look see, they had some really neat stuff. I loved the cot with the tent over it. Interesting idea. We seen one at Joshua Tree BLM and I didn't really know what it was until I seen the one in the store.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Doing nothing are our favourite kinds of day as well from sunrise to sunset love you awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting better at the do nothing days again. I was pretty good when we first started out but I seemed to have lost the knack somewhere along the travels. So I'm trying to get myself back into that mode again.

      Thanks, the sunsets haven't been lighting up the night skies even when there are clouds are round. I wonder if it's due to the denseness of the clouds and the sun can't penetrate to light them up. Last night only the few immediately adjacent to the sun's area lit up. It was beautiful but I kept turning watching for the others to do the same and they never did. Still awesome though.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. You didn't actually do nothing, you made some adjustments indoors that will make life easier as you continue to full-time. Good for you. We have to live in our units for a while to determine what changes to make. :)
    You have no one to judge you but yourself so you can take as many lazy days as you want! It is nice to be in control like that. I love lazy days and I love touring days and I love reading! Bill has just finished two J.A. Jance books in a row and very quickly. I've yet to start those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right, I did do a little but truly it didn't take long, it wasn't strenuous and it felt as if it was just nothing. Haha...

      Oh I know, I'm my own worst critic when it comes to doing nothing. I do what I want, when I want and if folks don't like it, oh well. I try not to be rude or obnoxious about it but I also don't care if others agree. I'm a big girl now. Hahaha

      I've been working at slowing down but I'm not good at it and it does take effort. Riley often comments that she knows I'm bored since I bop up and down doing little things. It drives her crazy some times. Hahaha...

      I love lazy days too, although my ideas of lazy days aren't necessarily the same as other folks. Riley will attest to that. I love to read, and read just about anything except romance stuff. Like Bill I can get lost in a book for hours. I've always enjoyed reading, it's like someone invited me into their world and I can come and go whenever I want and pick back up where I left off. It's truly something I enjoy.

      I'm looking forward to starting a new Patricia Cornwell book when I finish this J.A. Jance book. Maybe I'll find a used book store when we move to Superstition Mountain and get another load of books, I'm almost out. I'll have to fire up the Kobo and download some books again.

      Take care, enjoy your days!!!
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Going to cover yesterday's and your Cabela's post as I didn't yesterday. Glad you got your boots at Cabela's, they're not cheap but they do have good quality. I know whenever we go we never leave without something:) The picture of you and Riley is adorable! Soup sounds wonderful right now..as I watch it snow! Love the first picture on today's blog! That should be framed. Sounds like a wonderful day at home and it's so beautiful where you are. It's really nice to have a slow day once in awhile. You had your walk with your new boots, hoping thicker socks will do it for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boot prices weren't cheap but I think they were reasonable and I agree about the quality. I think these boots will last a long time.

      I like the picture of Riley and I but I have no idea where we took it. I'm not as good as about downloading the phone pictures as I am the camera pictures.

      Snow always makes soup sound wonderful.

      Feel free to frame any picture you like. It was an excellent day at home.

      Thicker socks will make them more snug, and I think less stiff on my feet. However we'll have to see, maybe I just need to get used the less flexible sole. My running shoes fit like a glove as they bend with my feet. These don't and I think that's the reason they don't feel as snug as I'd like. I did double up on the cotton socks today but I'll try once with just one pair as well, and see how they feel.

      Take care, be safe,
      Deb

      Delete